Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
cachinbosig

upgrading my Laredo 308RE from 110V 30amp to 240V 50amp

Has anyone done this type of upgrade before?

I have been looking for some time now on which 50amp 240 volt panel to get and I have been unable to find one yet.

Any help please well appreciated!

2013 Keystone TT Laredo 38' 308RE
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L Power Stroke

So far I have added a home run from the 2nd A/C to the back of the TT and have a separate 110V 25 amp extension cord in addition to the camper original one. I would like to get it all in one big 50 amp cord and panel. I know I can use the home run as the second feed to the panel since I added an 8/3 prong cable.
cachinbosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Yosemitebob

I assume that you need 220/240 volts for a particular appliance? As if you have a 30 amp panel you actually already have 220 it's just two separate legs. Not many RV's use actual 220
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
B&T

30A service is not 220v, it is only 110v.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
30A service is not 220v, it is only 110v.
OK, it is two separate legs each 110v which could be made into 220 very easily. The OP left very little info to work with. A lot more info is needed.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
OK, it is two separate legs each 110v which could be made into 220 very easily. The OP left very little info to work with. A lot more info is needed.
No, it's not two separate legs of 110. Your home dryer and range are wired that way (to get 220) but an RV is wired with three wires. Black: 110VAC, White: Neutral and Green: Ground. There are NOT two legs of 110 in the RV 30 Amp wiring.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachinbosig View Post
Has anyone done this type of upgrade before?

I have been looking for some time now on which 50amp 240 volt panel to get and I have been unable to find one yet.
Nearly all 50amp RVs use it as 2 legs @ 120v. Very few RVs use 50amp @ 240v. Hope that helps

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
No, it's not. 30A service is three wires, a single 115VAC feed with a neutral and safety ground.

To the OP:

If I were doing it, I would look at one of the manufacturers who make electrical distribution panels for marine use, both OEM and aftermarket. The ones I'm familiar with are Paneltronics and Bass, however, Blue Sea has moved into the electrical distribution market and they manufacture some very nice equipment. I have use a lot of Blue Sea components, but not their panels. I have done several 50A shore power installations and upgrades on large boats using Paneltronics and their equipment is the topest of the notch. There are some manufacturers who make lower end stuff, but you won't be happy with the results. The suitable panels have selector switches for any configuration input power-generator system you can imagine, reverse polarity indicators, and volt and amp meters, either analog or digital.

A 50A installation would essentially give you two 50A legs, two 115V legs with a common neutral, and you can run a lot of stuff on that. I wouldn't replace the converter, but run power to the existing one from one of the 15A breakers since it's only used to generate 12VDC from a 115V input. You would need to run #6 cable from the trailer inlet to the panel and everything else can be used as is since you would not be increasing the load on any of the existing circuits, merely rearranging them to balance the load on both legs.

You can also easily put together a system using residential type components from HD a lot cheaper and it will work fine, just not look as nice. Be warned, the marine stuff ain't cheap, but it's built to last forever and really looks good when it's built into a cabinet front.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
cachinbosig

WOW thanks!

I would never imagine using marine stuff however remembering when I had a 2004 Cruiser Yatch with twin V6 Volvo Penta this boat was 240 V and I remember the electrical Panel being very nice! I will be looking into that as it makes a lot of sense. Of course I will balance everything between the two 120V legs as you mention. Cable home run #6 I would imagine 4 prong 2 hot black and brown probably and a neutral white and then the ground green. I remember in my boat the commode had a macerator pump any use of that for the TT does it makes a difference?
Anyway thanks again for the suggestion and I will be doing this upgrade using marine equipment I remember being much, much nicer and beter looking than all of the equipment on this TT.
cachinbosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Bob Landry

I wouldn't think you would need a macerator pump. The toilet sits right above the black tank where as on the boat, waste had to be pumped through a 1/2' hose to the holding tank and then had to be pumped up through a smaller hose to the deck plate. That's not the case with a trailer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I wouldn't think you would need a macerator pump. The toilet sits right above the black tank where as on the boat, waste had to be pumped through a 1/2' hose to the holding tank and then had to be pumped up through a smaller hose to the deck plate. That's not the case with a trailer.
Actually, I have a macerator pump, aka "poop cannon" used for draining my tanks at home, tho mine rurns on 12v.