Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
usaclark

Premier Bullet Ceiling Fan Installation

I recently purchased a Premier Bullet 19 FBR. I would like to install a Maxxair Turbo Max fan in the main cabin. There is presently an air vent there but no fan. My nearest power source is in the light over the table in the slide out. My questions are as follows:

Is it difficult to fish wires through the ceiling to the outside wall?

Would you have ideas to connecting to a source that has to be able to move (slideout)?

With a 12 volt system I assume I will need to run two wires, what size wire is required?

Thanks for your help and guidance.
usaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, you do NOT want to connect any electrical wires on the slide out to a roof vent on the main structure. All the slide power enters through a flexible wire/conduit from the frame of the main trailer to the floor of the slide. From there, it's routed through the wall to the slide ceiling where the light is installed. Any wiring tap at the light back to the main frame of the trailer would simply be "rerouting" back to where it started.

If you remove the 4 screws holding the inside shroud on the ceiling vent, then get on the roof and "CAREFULLY" remove the DICOR self leveling sealant from around the roof vent, you can remove the several screws (probably 20+) that hold the roof vent to the roof. Once all the screws are removed, pull the roof vent away from the EPDM membrane. BE VERY CAREFUL not to dislodge or stretch the membrane and be EXTRA CAREFUL not to cut our gouge it. With the current vent removed,you should be able to see into the roof cavity and locate a pair of 12 volt wires from which to get power for the new roof vent fan.

REMEMBER: ROMEX (shielded wires in one insulator) are commonly used for 120VAC and single wires are commonly used for 12VDC. This may, however, not be the situation in every application, so consider all wires to be the "wrong kind" until you test them to "prove" they are 12VDC.

It should be a simple matter of fishing a couple of wires to power the fan after locating suitable 12VDC power sources in the roof structure.

The appropriate gage wiring to use would depend on the distance of the run, but generally 12ga is appropriate for 12VDC runs up to 4 or 5 feet. I believe the MaxAir system has a built in fuse, but if it doesn't, be sure to install an inline fuse (normally 3 Amps) in the supply line.

Under any application that I can imagine, it would be inappropriate to use a power source in the moving part of the slide to power anything in the main cabin of the RV. I'd strongly urge you to leave the slide alone and find a 12VDC source closer to the proposed fan installation in the roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
eartha

Smile vent

You might think about installing the Maxxair vent over the bathroom vent. You can use the power for the existing vent fan. This will give you less noise.
Happy Trails
eartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
usaclark

Thank You

I want to thank you both for your comments. JRTJH, I want to thank you for your cautions and suggestions. This week while on an outing I had time to remove the microwave oven which is located over the range hood and removed the trip collar of the existing roof vent. I should be able to fish a couple of wires through the ceiling cavity to the inside of the microwave cabinet and down to the fan switch of the range hood. I have ordered the fan which will not arrive for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks Again.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
chartrand

Take photos as you go and post them for us. I know as a Premier owner myself, I would very much like to see a photo journal of your install.

Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Charby

I have pre-wired mine in my recent new Premier 19 until I get the fan in USA. I saw pictures somewhere and install like this:
[/LIST]Remove the vent shroud[/LIST]Drill 3/4" hole on left side of vent blocking towards microwave.
  • Remove microwave and unplug.
Drill another 3/4" hole on left side of ceiling in microwave cabinet.
  • Use 12 gauge Red/White wire and coil along a coat hanger with tape at the end only, and fish from vent to microwave.
Go slowly as not to put a hole through ductwork.
  • Use screwdriver to feel around for hanger and remove tape and pull wire down.
Make sure you pull fuse 3rd up from bottom before connecting wires. Red is hot, and fan will specify hot wire. Fairly easy job of less than 30 minutes. Use proper splice connectors for 10/12 gauge, and ensure connection is firm. Install microwave again.
Charby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
usaclark

Follow up

I'll plan to follow Charby's directions and will take photos as I go. It will likely be middle of October when I get a chance to complete the job. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaclark View Post
I'll plan to follow Charby's directions and will take photos as I go. It will likely be middle of October when I get a chance to complete the job. Thank you for your help.
Did you ever do this install and if so did you take any photo's?

Thanks
Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote