Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
gbbudd

Sugestions New Jersey to Yellowstone

We're planning the trip we have always dreamed of. We will be leaving from New Jersey and heading to Yellowstone and Glacial National Park. We have 18 days in September and hauling a 40' 3725 Montana with a 2012 turbo diesel 6.7 350 short bed crew cab srw with a 20K Pull Rite. We are open to suggestions on the route to take and places to see along the way. We are completely self contained so state parks without hook ups are ok. So looking forward to this trip, thanks in advance for any help. But we're the type if we have to just wing it that's okay too, no clock no phone, no plan, no time table is a good way to travel in my book.

Also at Yellowstone were are the must see's I Love photography and this is a dream come true for me.
gbbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
hankaye

gbbudd, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum

Your question sounds more like a routing question but that's up to the mod's to determine.....
Anyway ...... which way to go ...... loaded question, So many places to visit,
a multitude of ways to get there, use I-90 to see the lakes, I-70 will get you to St. Louie,
and Kansas City, I-80 will scoot ya across Nebraska and Wyoming.
Any direction you decide to slice it, nice stuff to see and do along whichever route you choose
to take. I know the types of things that interest me and Rascal, well if he's with me and the truck
he's ok ..... so long as there are stops along the way to run and play he's ok.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Dhuhn

There's a lot to do in black hills in South Dakota there's mt Rushmore and crazy horse monuments. In Yellowstone there's a lot to see my favorite is the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone make sure you go to artist point to see the lower falls one of the most beautiful falls in the world in my opinion. Also old faithful is really nice make sure you go for walk on the geyser basin. If your planning on camping in the park there are several campgrounds you have to have reservation to get in, there older campgrounds so you will want to make sure you tell them you have a 40 ft trailer because you may not be able to get your rig in them. I think they have 2 full hookup camp grounds one at canyon village and one at fishing bridge. Grant village may but not sure. Enjoy your trip!

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
curlyfungirl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbudd View Post
We're planning the trip we have always dreamed of. We will be leaving from New Jersey and heading to Yellowstone and Glacial National Park. We have 18 days in September and hauling a 40' 3725 Montana with a 2012 turbo diesel 6.7 350 short bed crew cab srw with a 20K Pull Rite. We are open to suggestions on the route to take and places to see along the way. We are completely self contained so state parks without hook ups are ok. So looking forward to this trip, thanks in advance for any help. But we're the type if we have to just wing it that's okay too, no clock no phone, no plan, no time table is a good way to travel in my book.

Also at Yellowstone were are the must see's I Love photography and this is a dream come true for me.
I don't think tyhat you will want to stay at any of the National Parks in Yellowstone. They are pretty much overcrowed parking lots. The Grizzly camground is right outside the west entrance. It is clean, pretty and friendly. As to Glacier National Park, post what you come upon as this park is on our wish list. Have a great time.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
pbryan

I don't think you will have to worry about Yellowstone being too crowded in September... Staying at a campground in the park has its benefits... Especially since you can deal with no hookups... Look into Madison and canyon campgrounds... Madison is closest to the main geyser areas, canyon is closest to the canyon and the major wildlife areas. Both have a few sites that should be able to accommodate a 40 footer, but not many, so I would call and make a reservation to get one you can fit in...

--Paul

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
gearhead

Yellowstone

It's been 25+ years, so I'm overdue, but whatever you do, you really have to go to the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody WY. It's on the east side of the park. I went in it not expecting anything but a bunch of junk. Oh was I wrong. Full of great art: Remington, Russell, etc. I had to go back the next day!

http://www.bbhc.org/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
pookie210

Have an awesome trip!

We just drove back from Washington State in June. No camping but we did see tons of spots along the I90 route in South Dakota, Wyoming and I94 in Montana that we took mental notes of for future plans. There are even rest stops (no facilites) to pull off if you are self contained and wake up next to a river or stream truly in the middle of nowhere. As others have said South Dakota actually has quite a bit to see. Badlands National Park is very scenic for photos. Keystone, Custer and Mount Rushmore are great of course. Montana is gorgeous. Glacier is breathtaking. Enjoy the journey! Feel free to stop in Ohio and pickup a stowaway.

Cheers!!
The McKinney's

pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cross country., roadtrip, wildlife photography, yellowstone