Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
tdawg

Thanks, John
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
BeaverRZR

i have an '08 f350 6.4L and while it is a great truck, the fuel mileage sucks. At best i get 7-8mpg towing 15,000lbs. I had to replace the radiator but other than that it has been a problem free rig with the exception of general maint items.
There are a handful of things you can do to increase power and mileage. Im going to remove the dpf/egr systems in the not too distant future.

Before this truck i had an '06 ram with the 5.9 cummins. That truck would pull like 10 Mothers but it ate tires and front end components like candy. Had to replace front ball joints, tie rods/ends, u joints, twice in a 20k miles stretch.

All 3 have there issues but all brands make a good rig. I just prefer some of the comforts and the look of the Ford
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
SAABDOCTOR

JEEPERS JOHN I was having fun watching all them trucks flying over the bunker!!!! It reminds me of two pilots arguing about which is better high wing or low wing. then the low wing guy was talking about a bird strike he had. i asked the high wing guy,ever hit a bird? nope! well there you go low wing guy if you had a high wing you would not have hit the bird!!. yea i had to run out of the lounge after that one! sure is fun reading all these "my trucks better" posts.. by the way how is the repair on your camper going?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Trent McCain

I upgraded from an ordered new '08 F150 SuperCrew Lariat to the gently used '09 F350 diesel in our sig. Love everything about it except the mileage is poor. 7-8.5 towing the 5th and boat in tandem depending on idle time and headwind. Around 15.5 empty. It's stock and pulls like a freight train. We didn't buy it for a daily driver, and we put around 5K mi a year on it, so we live with the poorer mileage. I can buy a lot of fuel for the extra payment on a new one. Also Kansas charges property tax on vehicles, and this one is getting old enough it's easier to handle. My budget didn't dictate a new one, but if yours may, you might consider the 2011+ Ford with the 6.7. My parents ordered one new and they pull a 2012 Montana Mountaineer. On ave it'll do 17.5 empty and 8-10 loaded. I don't consider that terrible, and it pulls better than my 6.4.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
rode2nowhere

How about Duramax? I bought the 2004 duramax with the lb7 engine which is supposed to be bad about injectors going kaput. I had a VIN search done and they have never been changed. I figure if they go bad I can replace them myself even though a big job and pricey. Truck has never missed a lick and I am happy with it.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
JEEPERS JOHN I was having fun watching all them trucks flying over the bunker!!!! It reminds me of two pilots arguing about which is better high wing or low wing. then the low wing guy was talking about a bird strike he had. i asked the high wing guy,ever hit a bird? nope! well there you go low wing guy if you had a high wing you would not have hit the bird!!. yea i had to run out of the lounge after that one! sure is fun reading all these "my trucks better" posts.. by the way how is the repair on your camper going?
Barney,

Real "aeroplanes" have propedders, high wings and wing struts. Those low wing jobs must be "bird magnets" eh??? The new things that suck and blow are some kind of magic air machines (jets) and they are far from bug smashers.....

The camper is in for repair, approved and waiting its turn in line. They are supposed to start ripping the roof off next Monday and we should have it back on June 26th. (I am NOT holding my breath) LOL

Last Friday, Saturday and again today, we've "motored" to various RV dealerships in the vicinity looking at new Cougar 26SAB's and 27RKS's. My DW just isn't real thrilled with the prospect of a total roof job. I'm thinking it will probably be as good as new, besides, the EPDM will be new rather than almost 4 years old..... But, she who must be obeyed is encouraging me to trade it for a "nicer" trailer since we will need the storage space this winter for our trip to Key West for Jan/Feb..... So, I'm thinking that I'll probably wind up in the "which Ford is better for towing" discussion pretty soon.....

Thank goodness I've had two 7.3 L Fords and both were great trucks, so if the budget allows, it's a 6.7, but if "she who must be obeyed" moves up any more expensive than the 27RKS, I'll probably be "forced" to look toward the 6.4 L..... Remember, I just built a 32x24x14 polebarn, so I'm hoping she doesn't decide to go longer than about 31 ft <YIKES>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #27
joeyb

Wink 6.4 tt

Like anything maintenance is key. I've towed with each of the big three. Just keep up with Coolant, Oil, and Fuel changes / filters. Have had no big issues with mine average 11.6 mpg towing our Outback. Its been a great truck for us. Noticed a difference from our old Aluminum sided Holiday Rambler (shorter and lighter) to I'm guessing the molded front cap on the new TT (longer and heavier) an small increase in mpg was always 10.9 flat towing. Anyhow maintenance has always been huge on the diesels and usually, not always a failure can be traced back to lack of maintenance. Its easy to caught up in each horror story. Keeping the truck in its perimeter of what its designed for helps too

2015 Sprinter 269FWRLS FW
2015 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Platinum

Past:
2009 F250 Lariat Crew 6.4 TD 4x4
2013 Keystone Outback 292BH TT
2008 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite 26BHS TT
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2005 Coleman Bayside Pop-Up
1995 Coleman Mini-Pop
Tent, Window unit & two 5' pieces of flex duct mounted on a 5 gal bucket.
joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #28
tomsws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"she who must be obeyed"
Who is this "she who must be obeyed" mythical creature you speak off? I AM A MAN! I rule the house. It is my kingdom and all those that dwell in it live under my rule of law! "she who must be obeyed" HA I know of no such creature! Hey, Ill be back. I forgot to mow the lawn and she uh or uh it has to be done cause uh I said so.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
Who is this "she who must be obeyed" mythical creature you speak off? I AM A MAN! I rule the house. It is my kingdom and all those that dwell in it live under my rule of law! "she who must be obeyed" HA I know of no such creature! Hey, Ill be back. I forgot to mow the lawn and she uh or uh it has to be done cause uh I said so.
LMBO

Now that is funny
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
HEHE You obviously sleep more nights in your RV than I do in mine.........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote