Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Effing Bored

Question Locating Coaxial Splitter in 2012 Keystone Outback

As a cable technician, I am serious about getting all the signal I can get to my cable box. After running a signal check before the cable input jack on the outside of the RV, I was at a +4 in dB of signal. At my cable outlet, I was at a -12. That's a -16dB loss.

A few dB of loss is expected, but in this size of camper, no more than 5dB max should be lost.

The type and size (2-way, 3-way, 4-way...etc) splitter usually is the result of such signal loss.

Where can I locate the splitter in this RV to see if that's the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effing Bored View Post
As a cable technician, I am serious about getting all the signal I can get to my cable box. After running a signal check before the cable input jack on the outside of the RV, I was at a +4 in dB of signal. At my cable outlet, I was at a -12. That's a -16dB loss.

A few dB of loss is expected, but in this size of camper, no more than 5dB max should be lost.

The type and size (2-way, 3-way, 4-way...etc) splitter usually is the result of such signal loss.

Where can I locate the splitter in this RV to see if that's the issue?

Thanks in advance.
It's pretty common to locate the splitter(s) right near one of the access locations. It may be behind or part of the Winegard master where the amp switch is located. That's the primary distribution point for antenna signal and usually the cable piggybacks on that. The Winegard units have been commonly located in the master bedroom areas.

Satellite prep is separate wiring I believe.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
therink

Hi
On both my current and previous Outback fivers, the splitters were inside the wall cavity behind the OTA antenna amp. Pull the amp out then gently pull on the coax, where you should find a bees nest of splitters and feeds to all coax outlets.
I am in the process now of outfitting my new 340FBH with 2 DIRECTV receivers and located my splitters yesterday in the front bedroom ceiling behind the amp. One thing I noticed is the coax ends that Keystone uses are junk. I am having trouble getting satellite feed to the rear bedroom and am afraid that the coax feed from the front bedroom to back bedroom has a nick or staple though it somewhere (ARGH). I may have to run another feed to that room.

Since I am not using SWM technology, I have to run two coax feeds from the dish (one for each receiver). I use the dedicated "satellite prep" input for the main tv (direct feed) and use the "cable prep" input for the second receiver. The cable prep runs to the OTA AMP. I remove the "cable prep" feed from the amp and then use barrell connector to run the cable prep coax directly to the coax feed to the 2nd receiver location.

Good luck and let me know how you set yours up.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Effing Bored

Where is the exact location of the splitter? It's not my camper so I'm not familiar with anything in it. Just trying to get the signal fixed.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
therink

Quote:
Where is the exact location of the splitter? It's not my camper so I'm not familiar with anything in it. Just trying to get the signal fixed.
Not sure if you read the previous posts but it is likely inside the wall behind the OTA antenna booster receptacle. The receptacle has a small power button on it as well as a small green light, a car lighter 12 v plug and a male coax connection. The location of this receptacle varies by model.
Once you locate this receptacle, need to remove two screws, and gently pull wall plate out. Cant guarantee that is where splitter is, as there is no schematic that rv manufacturers follow. Trial and error has worked for me.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
The Winegard OTA amp is commonly found in the master bedroom of many RV's. If it is not there right near where the TV would go, it may be elsewhere in the trailer, but again, located near the 110vac outlet for a TV. The amp has to be turned on for OTA signal to reach the various outlets where TV are located. Usually it needs to be off for cable reception.

There are a number of versions of the amp, but this one is representative so if you see something that looks even remotely similiar, it's likely to be it. On some the LED is red, on others, it's green. Don't ask me why.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Effing Bored

Thanks, fellas! I will check it out when I make it back out that way.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
jbplock

Cable Configuation Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The Winegard OTA amp is commonly found in the master bedroom of many RV's. If it is not there right near where the TV would go, it may be elsewhere in the trailer, but again, located near the 110vac outlet for a TV. The amp has to be turned on for OTA signal to reach the various outlets where TV are located. Usually it needs to be off for cable reception.

There are a number of versions of the amp, but this one is representative so if you see something that looks even remotely similiar, it's likely to be it. On some the LED is red, on others, it's green. Don't ask me why.
Hi, first time posting here. Thanks for all the great info you folks have shared here.

We just bought a 2011 Keystone Cougar 27RKS and are in the process of getting it ready for our first shake-down trip and have a question about the cable and antenna configuration. We have a setup similar to the picture shown above except the 12 V outlet is on a separate plate. We also have a plate with two coax connectors with a short jumper cable that connects the two together. Before I dig into this and try to trace out the circuits does anyone know what the intent of making these two connections available? All inputs are welcome. Thanks in advance.
jbplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your "new to you" 27RKS. We have a 2014 of the same model and think it's great for what we need and want.

As for the plate with the two connections and the jumper cable. That is your satellite connection. Remove the jumper, the bottom (usually, unless someone turned things around) is the output from the satellite dish to the receiver and the top one goes from the receiver back to the trailer distribution system. To operate on satellite or cable, the "booster power switch" must be off (little red or green LED on the TV booster) and to operate on "over the air antenna" the booster power switch must be on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
xrated

Putting an electrical/electronic device like that INSIDE a wall is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, but as we all know, the RV manufacturers really don't care how much they inconvenience the end user. Pitiful!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

xrated,

Winegard has been building this same TV booster amplifier for the past 30+ years, essentially unchanged. I had the same booster in my 1993 Holiday Rambler that's in my 2014 Cougar and it's the same one that's being installed in current run trailers. There's really nothing "installed inside the wall" rather the amplifier is installed in the TV antenna "head unit" on the roof and the power switch is on the faceplate with the little LED to indicate the booster amp is on/off. The only thing "in the wall" is the coax splitter and the cables. As a comparison, I couldn't begin to count the "contractor installed" coax splitters that are installed in our attic, basement and under the eves where things connect to the "company cables".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #12
jbplock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your "new to you" 27RKS. We have a 2014 of the same model and think it's great for what we need and want.

As for the plate with the two connections and the jumper cable. That is your satellite connection. Remove the jumper, the bottom (usually, unless someone turned things around) is the output from the satellite dish to the receiver and the top one goes from the receiver back to the trailer distribution system. To operate on satellite or cable, the "booster power switch" must be off (little red or green LED on the TV booster) and to operate on "over the air antenna" the booster power switch must be on.
John,

Thanks for the reply. I removed both plates and pulled out the cables and could see the top connection on the jumper plate was connected to the Winegard plate (I was also mistaken in my previous post as the Winegard plate does contain the 12V outlet as shown in the previous post picture). So as you confirmed I assumed the bottom connection was from the Cable connector on the side of the Trailer. I could see that the other connections on from the Winegard plate were feeding the two TV connections in the Trailer. The previous owner removed the TV so my next step is to mount a flat screen TV. Clearance is limited by the Living Room slide so I ordered a MorRyde TV5-004H flush mount for it. This is why I enjoy owning an RV. There's always something to tinker with.

Bill
jbplock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 keystone outback, keystone