Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #1
glennaeichmann
Gone Traveling

Whats a better tent? Woods creekside 6 or Coleman skydome for 8?

It s for 3 people and mostly concerned about quality and how it will hold up during rain and winds and wear and tear. What would you recommend?
glennaeichmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennaeichmann View Post
It s for 3 people and mostly concerned about quality and how it will hold up during rain and winds and wear and tear. What would you recommend?
Most on here have moved off the ground onto a real bed with wheels under it towed by a vehicle.
Save the $$ from the tent & get at a pop-up, your back & bones will appreciate it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
gearhead

Look at the Cabelas Alaskan dome tent, assuming they still make it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
locomech

When we camped in a tents we used an Alps Mountaineering 4 man, then a Marmot 6 man and both held up nicely during stormy weather. There were only two of us camping and at first the 4 man was nice but the Marmot 6 was much better. The quality of both tents was very good, but it didn't take long before we moved into a pop-up for about a year then into our 27ft. trailer which again is perfect for two people.

My advice would be to skip the tents, buy a trailer and enjoy the camping instead of dealing with setting up tents and having to care for them after the trip is over. Then again the trailer still has it's care to consider ,.

All in all tent camping and trailer camping are two different styles to consider. The tents afford more privacy when choosing campsites, but you give up the conveniences of the amenities that the trailer offers. If you like socializing with neighbors then you'll probably enjoy the trailer more. I like my trailer but I miss the tent sometimes.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
dutchmensport

The best tent I ever slept in was when I was in the Army stationed in Korea on field maneuvers traveling with my battalion. Real canvas, durable, lasts forever, but heavy, heavy, heavy and takes about 10 people to set up. Still, the best one I ever slept in.

Store bought commercial versions? Take your pick. It all depends upon how much you are willing to spend and how you plan on using it. My dad had a simple 4 man pup tent made of nylon that was put up with two tent poles on each end and thin rope anchored to the ground. He had it for 20 years. I acquired it and used it for another 20 years. It rode on the back of our motorcycles. And by the way, it was just a little cheap Sears tent.

So, "expensive" and "pricy" does not necessarily mean "better." A simple tent from Wall Mart from the camping section will serve you for years and years if you take care of it. It doesn't matter what kind of tent you get, it will never be a solid roof over your head.