Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
upontheridge

No AC or Microwave when running on Generator Power

Has anyone had any issues with the generator via the transfer switch not providing power to the ACs or microwave, but the generator is providing power to receptacles? My Carbon 338 did not come with a generator, so I connected a 30-amp cord with 30 amp plug to the electrical box housing the generator prep wire that then connects to the Transfer Switch on my 338. When connecting this cord to a generator or 30 amp plug in my home shop, I get power to my plugs but no power to the Microwave or either AC. When I connect to shore power via the 50 amp connection to my shop 30 amp plug. Everything works, ACs, Microwave, plugs etc. The factory wiring for the generator prep electrical box to the transfer switch is a 3 wire 10 ga wire and the label on the electrical box says max 30 amp generator. Have called my dealer and they had no clue, called Keystone and they had no clue and told me to call my dealer.
upontheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your trailer is 50A service with a 50A breaker panel, then you should have had a 50A transfer switch and wiring to match.

In a 50A RV, the roof AC’s will be on opposite sides and the microwave will be on one or the other. I would verify a 50A transfer switch, and if it is, then I would check the wiring for a 50A gen. I just had a TH in the shop last month that was gen prepped and the junction box said 30A. When I took the cover off it had the wiring for 50A.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #3
travelin texans

Sounds like you took the long way around being able to plug your 50 amp rv into your 30 amp shop plug. A 50 to 30 amp dog bone adapter would've been cheaper, easier & everything would've probably worked.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
upontheridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Sounds like you took the long way around being able to plug your 50 amp rv into your 30 amp shop plug. A 50 to 30 amp dog bone adapter would've been cheaper, easier & everything would've probably worked.
I have a 50/30 dogbone. I plugged into the shop to determine whether the issue was generator related. I want a generator connection on the front of my trailer because I keep my generators in my truck bed when we are boondocking and the 50 amp cord will not run from the back of the trailer up to the bed of the truck.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontheridge View Post
I have a 50/30 dogbone. I plugged into the shop to determine whether the issue was generator related. I want a generator connection on the front of my trailer because I keep my generators in my truck bed when we are boondocking and the 50 amp cord will not run from the back of the trailer up to the bed of the truck.
Most of us just use a 50 amp extension cord, much easier and probably less expensive from the get go.
Camco Extension Cord, PowerGrip Heavy-Duty Outdoor 50-Amp RV Extension Cord, 30 Feet (55195) https://a.co/d/fI5j4FC
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
upontheridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your trailer is 50A service with a 50A breaker panel, then you should have had a 50A transfer switch and wiring to match.

In a 50A RV, the roof AC’s will be on opposite sides and the microwave will be on one or the other. I would verify a 50A transfer switch, and if it is, then I would check the wiring for a 50A gen. I just had a TH in the shop last month that was gen prepped and the junction box said 30A. When I took the cover off it had the wiring for 50A.
I have WFCO T-57R transfer switch. It is rated for 50 amps. The wire Keystone ran from the box to the transfer switch is 30 amp 10-gauge 3 wire, a black, neutral, and ground so it is only connecting one hot to the L1 connection on the transfer switch bus, L2 is empty. I have suspected that might be the issue but have never dealt with transfer switches before. Wondering if a jumper is needed between L1 and L2 sort of like a dogbone connection.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontheridge View Post
I have WFCO T-57R transfer switch. It is rated for 50 amps. The wire Keystone ran from the box to the transfer switch is 30 amp 10-gauge 3 wire, a black, neutral, and ground so it is only connecting one hot to the L1 connection on the transfer switch bus, L2 is empty. I have suspected that might be the issue but have never dealt with transfer switches before. Wondering if a jumper is needed between L1 and L2 sort of like a dogbone connection.
I would contact WFCO and ask. I think it’s odd that keystone would only run 10Ga 3 wire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power