Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
olivier

Awning light switch location

Hi,
I recently bought a 2017 Passport 239ML and I can't figure out how to turn on the awning LED light strip.

There is a possibility it is defective but I don't know what button is supposed to turn it on. On the panel near the door there is the awning extend/retract switch, the interior light switch, and another switch for a light near the sewage pipe.

If anyone can provide the information it would be greatly appreciated.

-Olivier
olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #2
wrvond

Did you look at the underside of the cabinet nearest the door?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I was almost positive the awning light switch was on the panel, it’s not typical for them to put it somewhere else, especially when the panel is by the door. I’m surprised the light near the sewer is on the panel, that is typically a self contained light with a switch on the light itself. Unless your talking about a scare light, but I don’t recall the 239’having one. Have you checked the fuses?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:03 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

The light switch for the patio light (awning) is the same circuit that turns on the dump valve light underneath. If the dump valve light is on, the awning light should be on.

I would check the wire connections where they come through the side wall at the top of the awning rail to see if they are tight and have 12v DC current. If the connections are good and there is power, the LED strip is bad. A bad connection or bad light strip are the two most probable culprits.

If there is no power, you will need to pull the convenience center plate off and gently pull it out so you can get a look at the back of the switches. There is only one wire from the fuse panel to the switch panel for the exterior lighting; awning light, dump valve light and front hitch area light. There is a crimp connection with one wire going to the front light that has constant power (that front light has its own switch on the fixture), and then another wire that goes to the line side of the switch. There are two wires coming from the load side of the switch; one goes to the dump valve light and the other goes to the awning light.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #5
olivier

Thank you so much everyone! I was able to work it out

Quote:
Did you look at the underside of the cabinet nearest the door?
Under the cabinet there was only the interior/exterior speaker select switch and outlets

Quote:
I was almost positive the awning light switch was on the panel, it’s not typical for them to put it somewhere else, especially when the panel is by the door. I’m surprised the light near the sewer is on the panel, that is typically a self contained light with a switch on the light itself. Unless your talking about a scare light, but I don’t recall the 239’having one. Have you checked the fuses?
I know someone with the 2018 model and it has a 3rd switch just for the awning

Quote:
The light switch for the patio light (awning) is the same circuit that turns on the dump valve light underneath. If the dump valve light is on, the awning light should be on.
Yep! It was indeed the same switch as the dump valve.

I was able to measure 12V at the wire but the light remained off. There was some corosion where the wire is soldered to the light and the shrink wrap was pretty loose.

I cut a little bit of the cable and also the first section of LED ribbon (about 3 inches). Soldered the wire to it and that did the trick. Didn't have to replace anything

Thanks again!

Olivier
olivier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light