Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
bgrhrdt

Dealer Fiberglass Sealant

When I bought a trailer several years ago I paid extra for a sealant applied to the fiberglass (something called Dura Tane I believe). They said it didn't need to be waxed for 5 years. This last purchase, I didn't. My brother told me his new fifth wheel was treated so he didn't need to wax it... just give it a bath once in awhile. What is the treatment they put on there and is there any way (or need) that I can do it on my own?
bgrhrdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know what the treatment is or if you can buy it yourself - probably just a product that they tried to upsell upon the sale of the RV. My experience;

Bought new 5th wheel (current one). Refused all the "add ons" until the finance manager spoke of their product that would take care of the outside for 5 years and you had to do nothing but wash...if you wanted to. The product also would seal your "pleather" furniture etc. If the exterior faded or oxidized it would be repaired/repainted to be like new. Furniture; if it peeled, faded, tore etc. etc. it would be replaced. Now you, like I, knew/know this is pure BS, BUT, I had just traded in an RV that the furniture coverings started peeling at 1 1/2 years, the exterior had started oxidizing at about year 3. All that really aggravated me. He said it was non refundable once done (2-3k, don't remember). I told him I was notating everything he said and to initial it, he did. Cut to the chase;

Talked to the company that underwrote the coverage and most everything he said was a lie. Told the dealership to give me my money back and they did even after the trailer had been "coated" inside and out with this "stuff" (they made a MESS inside). But now;

The trailer has been in my possession now for 2 years and 2 mos. The exterior IS much smoother, slicker etc. than trailers before. I wash it and it looks really shiny but I wax it anyway. Just had some guys come over that wash/wax and detail trailers to clean it up before we left. When they were done and I was paying them they commented that I must really put a lot of work into keeping it up because the finish was better than most anything they come across - and they do some VERY nice rigs up and down the coast. Makes me wonder if there isn't something to it but couldn't swear to it. So far it has been by far the easiest trailer I've ever owned to just wash, quick wax and have a dazzling shine...?? 3 or 4 days ago DW asked if I felt guilty because they gave my money back and it might actually be working....the jury is still out on that.

I don't have the paperwork here with me. I'll be back at my home base in 10 days or so and maybe it will give me something I can share because I don't know/remember.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass