Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #21
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
The problem is I think there's going to be no choice but to 'love it', as it seems we won't be able to 'leave it'.

I definitely understand your points, but seems like it's going to be pretty hard to get a 'modern' trailer without some iteration of an InCommand type system.

For the record though - I'm (so far at least) fine with the system. More trouble with KeyTV than with InCommand..lol
Mayhap I'm overly optimistic, but I see a bit of evolutionary improvement in the way campers are being built (or assembled). Travel trailers are now starting to sport 5th wheel type appointments, like nose caps that wrap around the corners. Keystone is now color coding wires. More modern, water resistant materials are being used in "lower shelf" campers. My Cougar came with a kingpin that flexes and absorbs (at least some) road shock plus shock absorbing equalizers - these were rather pricey add ons just a few short years ago. LED lights are de rigueur these days, I must have spent hundreds of dollars figuring out which LED bulbs would work the best and then converting over in my old camper. Plumbing is residential style PEX these days. remember polybutylene pipe? I had a class 'A' with that stuff.
It's true the campers are assembled by (essentially) unskilled labor, some of whom could break a ball bearing, but I see a lot of jigs and modular units being used which reduce the degree of skill required for assembly.
I think things are looking up.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #22
CaptnJohn

Just bought a 2022 Montana. Most important was NO InCommand.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #23
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm a technology and networking guy, so I love mine. Have I had problems with it? Yeah, one big one that everybody on my model had [link]. It turned out not to be the inCommand unit at all, but the Dometic interface Keystone paired with it. (It would have failed the same way with a manual thermostat, it just wasn't shipped with any of the manual thermostat models).

I do have a recurring problem with it crashing during long periods of non-use (never on actual trips), and not rebooting until someone goes inside and punches a button. But I consider it minor. The HVAC system runs at the set temperatures even if inCommand crashes, so I know my animals are safe, etc.

My greatest concern is that replacement parts might be needed years down the road and not be available, as John mentions. Given that ASA has been around since 1977 and is now 50% owned by Audiovox/Jensen, hopefully they shouldn't be going plotz anytime soon, and since all their equipment is in the auto/RV/marine market, hopefully they will follow industry tradition on spares availability.
I have the In-Command “pro-Plus”. I have never been able to get it to sync with the iPhone app and I’ve never been able to locate the Blue Tooth box for it.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #24
Courser Farm

I've had similar issues, all pretty easy to fix. And I have talked with the InCommand techs who are very patient and helpful. Mine goes offline a lot, while parked at home which is a function of our verizon internet. Easy fix. And sometimes I have to remind it of the internet password. Not sure why.... but I too love technology.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:16 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

OK, let's break this survey down. Folks that have yet to have a major problem like In Command. Folks that have had a lot of problems OR have to fix them hate In Command. Grouchy geezers like me don't need to gizmo to turn on the lights or adjust the A/C temp. Getting out of my recliner gives me a bit of exercise.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #26
K_N_L

I've got the first gen system and the only issue that I repeatedly have is that display loses communication w/ the BCM requiring a reset of the BCM. Occasionally a restart of the display will reset comms but generally need to kill the 12v power. Tends to happen more while travelling, my assumption is random wireless interference from outside sources messes it up. Gen2 versions of the display I believe are wired to the BCM. Fortunately my HVAC is not tied in to this system.
While the bluetooth pairing setup could be better, I do enjoy being able to adjust the pin height while connecting without getting out of the vehicle. I've had to replace 1 relay in 5 years due to intermittent slide probs.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #27
madweazl

I'm a newb to InCommand (picked the trailer up a week ago) but I really like it thus far. Pairing was a piece of cake and I really like being able to bring the awnings in if the wind picks up without tripping over an ant turd while I waddle to the trailer. It was also handy opening the roadside slides after pulling into our spot and hooking up. HVAC response was a little slow (~5 second) but it worked (same for the fantastic fan). Oh, awning lights from the phone were handy too. I'm a techie so I like these kinds of things anyways.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
And sometimes I have to remind it of the internet password. Not sure why...
I actually had the opposite problem. While running some diagnostics with ASA, I changed the SSID on the WiFi router inCommand attached to, specifically to keep it from connecting all that night. Apparently, it recognized the BSSID and connected with it anyway, completely invalidating the test.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #29
Folkie

When we purchased our camper it came with in-Command. My preference would have been to stay with basic switches that would be easy to TS and replace and not have to worry about computer glitches. That said, after doing a little research on the system and its capabilities I am a lot more comfortable with it. Most things have backups in case something fails. I think the trip-ender for us would be the loss of the water pump. I have figured out how to jumper power to the pump from the BCM. The only issues we have had were resolved with a quick system restart. For what it's worth, the folks at ASA have been extremely helpful when I had questions. I also bought a spare relay just in case one fails when we are in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #30
GeoZ

We have In Command in our 2019 Cougar 32RLI and love it. Have updated the software two times to handle some glitches but other than that, GREAT!! Using the blue tooth technology for running slides out and remote operation of lights works great. Yes, issues may come down the road but I'll handle them when they do. Running the HVAC with 2 a/c units through In Command has kept the temperature disagreements to a minimum.
GeoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #31
sonbar

Bad relay, in the BCM?
sonbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #32
sonbar

In-Command global Connect

The big sale for us was in-command but ours was messed up since day 1. Here is the problem we had and still have with the monitor.
The original (Gen 3 ) would hang and reset every time we touched the monitor. We could operate everything by phone but the monitor.. touch it, it reboots system... i can use it after reboot but if i let it sit.. lockup... the front AC zone always had a - sign for zone temp.
After receiving a new display monitor, everything works great except i cannot get into global connect. it may have something to do with new monitor ID, will find out soon. So Far I love the incommand and i sure hope it does not give us anymore trouble for a long time.

so replacing theold monitor with new monitor, need to get help connecting back to global connect.

Asa was fast with support, had my global connect going in couple of minutes.
sonbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #33
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbar View Post
Bad relay, in the BCM?
I shouldn't do late night posts!
Old 04-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #34
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbar View Post
Bad relay, in the BCM?
Yeah - my wardrobe slide would go out but intermittently would not come in, which was very frustrating. It was worse if not on the gen set or not connected to shore power. If you pressed the button enough, eventually it would come in. After identifying the 2 relays, i reversed their positions and the prob flipped to not going out. Cheap and fast to replace from Amazon, Rayex LD-12F-R 2 pack for $10. Most all of the 12 volt features are controlled by these units.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #35
Packerbacker20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd F View Post
I was supposed to purchase a "New to me" 2020 Keystone Cougar last week and it was rescheduled due to a defective In Command system. The Touchpanel has been replaced and now they are replacing other components. It is at a reputable dealer in the area. They admitted they have little information on how to fix or troubleshoot these systems. I am not looking for trouble shooting help, but feedback on reliability.
This has made me a little concerned. Are these InCommand systems having issues out there?
Feedback from experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd
I have that system on my 2017 Outback 325bh. I love the simplicity of it especially as the wife and I get older. The main concern for me is replacement parts when something quits working! I had a issue in the summer of 2020 where one of my rear stabilizer jack motors would burn out, replaced motor and as soon as I pressed the auto level button it fried again. Took it to the dealer & ended up replacing the main controller ($3200 part & $800 labor here). The problem is the original controller has been discontinued and it was a 💩 show having the dealer find a replacement that was compatible. I will say my dealer isn't the best and I only take in if it's a warranty issue or something I can't fix myself. I have a warranty we purchased when we bought the rv in 2019 that covers almost everything for 5 years.
Packerbacker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #36
pasayten

I love the technology and accept the future "risks" in exchange for the comforts and convenience the InCommand system gives me now. :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incommand