Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Mic

how to tell if I have in-command in 5th

how do I tell if I have the in-command in 5th
it is a 2018 Cougar 359MBI

Old 12-23-2021, 05:45 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I've not owned an RV with In Command because I don't like it but others do. The video I watched of your unit does not show the In Command system in your unit. In Command has a control console and if I recall (looked at a lot of them) it says In Command on the front of it. Your RV has a separate thermostat, rocker switches for the lights etc. in the little panel covered by a door right? If so you don't have it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
ChuckS

Be glad you don't have In Command... When the warranty from Jensen runs out the BCM or display module cost $$$... While In Command is a great concept the mechanics and reliability of the system itself is less than stellar..

Most folks can easily TS a standard light switch, slide out switch, etc.. But when it comes to In Command now you have relays on the BCM, CANBUS wiring, and some folks aren't able to TS or repair when issues occur with this system...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Be glad you don't have In Command... When the warranty from Jensen runs out the BCM or display module cost $$$...
I dunno what the warranty is on it, but on my 2019 purchased September 2018, ASA just sent me a replacement DCM at zero charge to (attempt to) solve a "reboot and drop off the Internet problem" I've been having. This was two months ago, so I thought that was pretty nice service for a three-year-old rig. The techs there have always gone the extra mile for me, like Apple used to before they got overwhelmed.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I dunno what the warranty is on it, but on my 2019 purchased September 2018, ASA just sent me a replacement DCM at zero charge to (attempt to) solve a "reboot and drop off the Internet problem" I've been having. This was two months ago, so I thought that was pretty nice service for a three-year-old rig. The techs there have always gone the extra mile for me, like Apple used to before they got overwhelmed.
The problem with the In Command units is multi fold..
.. sooner or later they will quit making the BCM or DC for the model you have.. then what?
.. the entire system is glitchy and does not like 12 volt surges ..
.. I turned down a unit when we bought our Alpine in 2014 and bought the one next to it that has switches.

I can work on either but simple SPST or DPDT switches are much( more reliable that what ASA Jensen is turning out right now..

With time it will be a great system.. it isn’t right now..

And their incorporation of HVAC into the BCM was ignorant. Too many gateway issues, too many CANBUS issues and not enough trained RV Techs out there to help folks when issues occur.. they should have kept the HVAC separate and used a quality digital mutlzone thermostat

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
.. sooner or later they will quit making the BCM or DC for the model you have.. then what?
.. the entire system is glitchy and does not like 12 volt surges ..
.. I turned down a unit when we bought our Alpine in 2014 and bought the one next to it that has switches.

I can work on either but simple SPST or DPDT switches are much( more reliable that what ASA Jensen is turning out right now..

With time it will be a great system.. it isn’t right now..

And their incorporation of HVAC into the BCM was ignorant. Too many gateway issues, too many CANBUS issues and not enough trained RV Techs out there to help folks when issues occur.. they should have kept the HVAC separate and used a quality digital mutlzone thermostat

I have to agree 100%. I've hear FAR more tales of woe about In Command than good ones. Like you I searched for and bought a model that did not have In Command. The system still seems like it's "half baked".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
With today's RV build quality, it will be interesting to see which wins the race to the bottom first...

It's not as if lots of industries such as personal computers, phones (2G/3G/4G), home security systems, solar equipment, and even the automotive industry itself haven't dealt with this very issue already, in their own ways. The only thing that is ever constant is change.