Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #1
Smith

Introduction

Hello.. My name is Scott.. I have a 2016 Alpine fifth wheel by Keystone.. Model 3100RL..I pull it with a 2015 GMC 2500 Denali... I'm in Indiana working.. Been here for 2 months and probably several more.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
Hello.. My name is Scott.. I have a 2016 Alpine fifth wheel by Keystone.. Model 3100RL..I pull it with a 2015 GMC 2500 Denali... I'm in Indiana working.. Been here for 2 months and probably several more.
Scott, Welcome!
Now go to the "user CP" in the header bar, scroll down to "edit signature" to post this same rv & truck info then scroll down to "save changes" now this will show up every time you post a question & you won't have to remind us each time what rv you have.
Something you may want to confirm before leaving in a few months & traveling too much is the payload posted on the drivers door of your Denali (the yellow/white tag that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs). That 5er with a GVWR of 15k lbs will have a pin weight of 3400lbs +/- (23% of the GVWR) which is quite heavy for most earlier 3/4 tons, especially those heavily equipped such as yours, then add all people, pets & stuff & the weight adds up quickly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Gary R.

Hello Scott, welcome to the forum!

We also own an Alpine and it serves us very well!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
MurphyIRE

Welcome from the Western Slope of Colorado
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Cockatoo Mama

RV Travel Trailer Newbie

Hello Fellow Keystoners!

My name is Patrice and I live in the Nashville, TN area. I recently purchased my 1st RV from a private owner. It's a 2010 Keystone Hideout 26B and I'm very happy with it. I just don't know a lot about it. I'm virtually living in it in my driveway (Why? Long Story). I am running solely on a heavy Duty extension cord from the house. I have not attempted to run anything off LP yet mostly because a bit afraid of it. ALSO... BIG CONCERN is that most of the time, I have my 25 year old Cockatoo, Sunny living with me out here. Birds are very sensitive to fumes and I'm pretty sure she would be in great danger if I used it while she's in here with me. HOWEVER, I DO need to get familiar and comfortable with LP. I'm only afraid of it at this point because I have ZERO experience with it... right down to the very basics of opening the valves on the tanks. I've never even owned a gas stove. I'd love to find a video or article on getting started with LP basics. Any helpful tip on LP use and management are greatly appreciated!!!

I also want to add solar power to my RV so that's another department as well.

I'm thrilled to find this Forum.

Patrice - "Cockatoo Mama"
Cockatoo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
travelin texans

Running the appliances on LP is not any more dangerous than powering the rv with an extension cord.
Open the valves on the tanks slowly til you hear the lines pressure.
Set the fridge to "auto", this will then automatically switch from electric to gas when power is disconnected & back when power is reconnected.
The water heater can be ran on either gas or electric or both if a quicker hot water recovery is needed. If your in a cold are where freezing its likely you'll need to run the gas furnace to keep the water lines warmed by the duct blowing in the underbelly, an electric heater will not reach those areas.
The electric heaters running along with the fridge, water heater & your cooking, if not using the gas cooktop, will eventually overload that extension cord & start tripping breakers.
You need to either get accustomed to using the LP or get an appropriate cord &/or power source to use the original power cord & do away with the extension cord . The cord you're using would be fine to use to keep the batteries charged if not in use but not for living full-time & powering all the necessities of full-time living.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
LHaven

Note that your water heater, fridge, and furnace all vent to the outside, and their combustion areas are for all practical purposes "walled off" from the living quarters. The only appliance that might be a hazard to your bird is your range, which actually uses propane inside the cabin. (Which begs the question of how you are cooking things now?)
Old 11-30-2021, 04:47 AM   #8
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Hello Scott. Welcome to the forums.

Where in Indiana are you working? Where are you camped at. This time of year, there aren't very many campgrounds open and Indiana State Parks shut the water off around November through April 1. You can still camp at any Indiana State Park over the winter, you just don't have water and the bath houses are closed.

Again! Welcome!
Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
Canonman

to the both of you from Utah!!
For CockatooMama, here is a video regarding propane that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	37319  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is online now   Reply With Quote