Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
LJEMW-Cougar

Questions about using 110 while in storage

We have a new 2021 Cougars 290RLS and will be storing it a place that has access to 110. We need to know what the correct process is for keeping the battery charged while being connected to 110. Do we leave the battery disconnect key in the “on” position? Do we leave the “converter” on? Or should we not use the 110v at all?

Note: We live in southern Tennessee.

Thanks for your help with this. We really appreciate it!
LJEMW-Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJEMW-Cougar View Post
We have a new 2021 Cougars 290RLS and will be storing it a place that has access to 110. We need to know what the correct process is for keeping the battery charged while being connected to 110. Do we leave the battery disconnect key in the “on” position? Do we leave the “converter” on? Or should we not use the 110v at all?

Note: We live in southern Tennessee.

Thanks for your help with this. We really appreciate it!
If your converter "floats" the battery at 13.2-13.8V, then you should be good to go. I've had a 5er with a constant voltage 13.8V converter floating a group 24 Interstate Deep Cycle for over a year. It has the white translucent sides that allow you to see the cell acid levels. Hasn't budged.

In addition to floating the battery, the converter is powering a few lights to repel rodents as well as my wifi DSL modem and Blink camera module for remote viewing. I have had zero problems, and I visit every 2-6 weeks. I visually check the battery fluid levels maybe 3 times per year.

HOWEVER, the more conservative approach is to just power everything down, take the battery with you and put it on a battery maintainer in a temperature controlled environment. My battery experiences temperatures ranging from 10-100°F out of necessity. Not ideal. Being in a controlled environment means they sustain less deterioration during the storage period.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your new Cougar 290 RLS. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I we enjoy ours.

I leave mine plugged into the outlet on the back of the house. As stated it maintains the batteries at about 13.3 volts. It will not run the A/Cs, but does practically everything else. I also did this with the Cougar travel trailer I had before the 5er and have had no problems with either.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
travelin texans

While plugged in during storage leave the batteries connected, the converter on & check the water level in the batteries monthly topping off with distilled water.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
bobbecky

Regardless of whether you are using the rig or storing it with power, always leave the battery disconnect switch ON (closed), which is when you can not remove the red plastic switch key, and also leave the breaker turned on that powers the converter. If either one or both are turned off, your batteries will die. The battery disconnect does not disconnect everything from the battery, so if you must disconnect the batteries, it's best to disconnect the ground cable from the batteries or install a separate disconnect switch on either the ground or positive cable at the batteries.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
LJEMW-Cougar

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the help. We really appreciate it!
LJEMW-Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage