Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #21
Falcon67

All the ones I have here I picked up at Tractor Supply, except the new RV 30A to 15A outlet because we were at the dealer and it was handy. The 30A 240 adapter for the race trailer to the EU7000 has been in use for 4 years without issue.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #22
CedarCreekWoody

Getting a bad adapter is a rarity.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:41 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Getting a bad adapter is a rarity.
That's true, but getting a "cheap adapter" that "melts in your hand, or on the pole", or that the connections inside the plug break after a year or two of use.... Now that's much more common than most of us might realize... I've seen "copper plated steel pins" to replace the copper alloy pins in plugs... It's not "unique" to see copper pins with rust breaking through on some of the cheaper adapters.....

This type, usually a "free adapter to get you ready to camp" is provided in the "starter kit" given to most of us with that cheap sewer hose, two worm gear clamps and a cheap plastic sewer fitting, a round plastic "bubble level", a 15' garden hose and a roll of "RV toilet paper". I can't begin to count the number of these adapters that I've seen "melted with exposed contacts" just waiting to cause a fire....

Add a 15" piece of electrical cable between the two ends, and it increases the potential for a break as people pull on one end to unplug the other, or twist it so it hangs on the nail on the side of the campground pedestal.... Lot's of abuse to go along with the cheap construction makes up a recipe for failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-15ampAdapter_image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	36408  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

I have one similar to the ones in the pic above (only round) that I keep in a box somewhere in the barn to remind me not to be stupid/careless with those things. The holes on the female side are totally melted out and I just happened to see it. I would strongly advise against using those cheap "donut" adapters.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Used to be referred to as "hockey puck adapter" years ago. Lots of campgrounds years ago would have 30 amp only sites with no 15 or 20 amp outlets. I remember some campgrounds kept a box of them on the counter for renters that would check in. I think they were like a buck back then and often the cg would just give them away when someone would check in.

Often it's not as much about electrical adapters being manufactured with a defect as it is about how "cheap" items won't tolerate the abuse imposed upon them. INMHO someone using (or more accurately misusing) one of these inexpensive adapters have little knowledge of electricity or how to properly treat electrical devices. Plugging in and unplugging while "hot" under load, Extra weight hanging on the outlet/plug, overheating the cable and plugs from heavy loads on inadequate wire sized extension cords, etc. Just walk thru the tent sites in the fall anmd you'll see many "orange extension cords" of 14 or 16 ga. with a 3 prong plug on the end connecting more extension cords with several space heaters connected. And of course when their Frankenstein $10 cables melt they blame the the company that sold it to them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote