Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

RV Dealers vs Private Sellers?

Article from Camper Report https://camperreport.com/rv-dealers-vs-private-seller/ . There is more and some attempt to balance pros/cons of buying from dealerships vs private sellers but I found this "pros of buying from RV dealers" part questionable. I know the current environment makes trade ins worth more but then again, prices for new units are through the roof. Financing? Why not use your own financial institution or shop for rates on your own and be pre-approved prior to shopping? Extended warranty? Cash cow for the dealership or some 3rd party. The manufacturer is responsible for repairs? Well really? The selling dealer is your voice and conduit as has been proved time and again on this forum. Try calling Keystone or sending them an email to get your camper fixed under warranty. The only distinct benefit of an RV dealer purchase would be if buying a new unit. Watcha all think and do look at the entire article.

"Pros of buying from RV dealers

RV dealers may be the best place to purchase a new RV. They have a large selection of RVs, all conveniently located in one place for you to “touch and feel.”
They can manage your trade-in, help you find financing, and include an extended warranty all in one convenient transaction. Because the RV is new, there are warranties on the entire rig, so if something does go wrong, the manufacturer of the RV (not the dealer) is responsible for the repairs and presumably the dealer will help you get those issues fixed. There are few other alternatives for buying a new RV, but dealers also sell used RVs, and that is where this comparison becomes more relevant." (camper report)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
Canonman

DW and I went to the RV Show this last week, looking to see what's new and if a smaller rig might fit our needs. What we saw were prices in the $45k and up range for units that were sized and equipped like those we were looking at just a few years ago selling for $30k. What we did NOT see were any improvements in the fit and finish of any of them. In fact, we came way feeling like the new rigs were less well appointed until you crossed well north of the $50k threshold. Asked a local dealer about the "quality" issues and he told us that Forest River is putting out 160 units a day and can't keep up with demand. He's one of several who mentioned they were spending way too much time fixing production foul-ups and listening to irate customers!
Also looked in the local digital classifieds and were dumbfounded by the prices for "pe-owned" units as well.
I think we'll be keeping the "old" Cougar at least for another couple of seasons or at least until this current bubble bursts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5786.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	35882  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
rhagfo

Well you can’t buy a new unit from a private seller, so the discus should be about used units. A dealer can take a trade in where not likely with private seller.
Both will lie to make the sale, your choice.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I won't buy a used RV or vehicle so I deal with dealers. That said, trying to "save" money thru private sellers is a catch 22....maybe you will, maybe you won't. If I have to drive 1/2 way across the country to buy an unseen trailer to save 2,4,6k...won't happen.

Nowadays buying from a private seller is like buying from a dealer; those that actually know what they are talking about and telling the truth are few and far between. "Pristine" to the seller may (probably) means a very different thing to them than it does to me. I don't need to drive a thousand miles to find that out - and I like driving.

IMO you don't buy anything you can't see, feel and touch. As far as dealer sales they offer a lot more than the opportunity for a trade in and financing. They also offer their services in the event you need them, a private party would prefer not to see you again. Some like the thought of trying to save a few bucks; I don't like spending the next 6 mos. finding all the things the previous owner jury rigged.

As far as new trailers right now? I wouldn't do it, things are just too messed up. Mine was made and purchased just before we had a "pandemic".....I am so thankful.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I too have only bought new, but have never taken one in for ANY work, except current trailer when extended warranty replaced my AC. I even did the swap on my day off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I won't buy a used RV or vehicle so I deal with dealers. That said, trying to "save" money thru private sellers is a catch 22....maybe you will, maybe you won't. If I have to drive 1/2 way across the country to buy an unseen trailer to save 2,4,6k...won't happen.

Nowadays buying from a private seller is like buying from a dealer; those that actually know what they are talking about and telling the truth are few and far between. "Pristine" to the seller may (probably) means a very different thing to them than it does to me. I don't need to drive a thousand miles to find that out - and I like driving.

IMO you don't buy anything you can't see, feel and touch. As far as dealer sales they offer a lot more than the opportunity for a trade in and financing. They also offer their services in the event you need them, a private party would prefer not to see you again. Some like the thought of trying to save a few bucks; I don't like spending the next 6 mos. finding all the things the previous owner jury rigged.

As far as new trailers right now? I wouldn't do it, things are just too messed up. Mine was made and purchased just before we had a "pandemic".....I am so thankful.

Yeah it’s a lot like buying used boats…. “Pristine”…lol….oftentimes the pictures used in the ads have time stamps from 2013 lol….the day the guy selling it bought it himself
Old 09-20-2021, 04:03 AM   #7
Rocketsled

We currently have a two axle bumper-pull Toy Hauler and have almost continually kept our ears to the ground for the next trailer (two axle 5th wheel Toyhauler)…went looking this weekend for grins due to Camping World’s sales event.

What we saw was…rough. We looked at a couple of new trailers that probably would look better after the PDI…but even at that, the materials used, and the wear on 1-2 year old trailers (that, granted, may have been owned by the most experienced or careful owners) made us think that we may not want a new trailer even after the COVID bubble pops.

Then there was the 2012 TH where the PO took out all the couches and replaced them with 1 1/2 additional diningroom tables…looked like a diner in there…and man was it beat up inside.

Right now it’s cheaper to keep her.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Our first two were both purchased used. First one from a RV dealer. Second one from an individual. I had never owned a T.T. before and thought that buying from a dealer would mean service from their repair center.
Mistake. After a minor incident I came to realize I was totally responsible for any and all repairs if I wanted them done within a decade and done correctly.
So second one (we wanted a slide out) was purchased privately. It was a Keystone Zephyr. Good T.T. but had soft floors that I had to rebuild and that's when I found out how remarkably frail T.T.s are built.

Last one, I still have, purchased new from a dealer. Dealer is since gone, service was non existent (not that I expected any), and I think this will be my last from a dealer. Only because I have a much better idea now how to inspect an RV, and either from a private seller or a dealer I am going to have to do all the repairs anyway.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I think we're "all guilty" (as a member of the human race not as a crook) of thinking "what's best for us" when making decisions regarding an investment.

RV's are an investment and are not isolated from the above.

Consider anyone who has a trailer and learns that there's a major problem. Maybe a bent axle that requires replacement, a refrigerator that only cools intermittently, a water heater that only works on gas, or any number of other "small issues that cost a lot to repair"....

So, when you get the news that you need new springs and axles at a cost of $3000. Most of us will "run the pro/con list" through our specific financial situation. Questions we typically ask are: Is it smart to spend this money on this trailer? Would we be better off trading it for a new trailer? Can we sell it and get more than the dealer offered in trade? Should we fix it and sell it or just tell any buyer? Should we just not mention it since we were told "they aren't broken but do need replacement sooner rather than later"...

So, with the above, a lot of trailers get sold rather than fixed..... Buying from a private seller or a dealership doesn't much matter and you could "buy someone else's problems" from either. With a dealership you might have better recourse to get repairs, but it may mean a "time limited legal process". With a private sale, who knows whether you have any recourse other than the seller's sense of fairness.....

Life's a gamble and buying a used RV is a part of life.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote