Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
gearhead

I have pretty much just defaulted to Pilot/FlyingJ. With a bit of pre planning the night before I will know where the next one is. Much less stressful than rolling down the road on 1/8 tank and stressing on where to stop. Betty keeps the Pilot app on her iPad. We prefer to use FlyingJ as they have a bit better choice of dining. Many have Denny's which works for us.
We have the Pilot debit card through Good Sam. Do the entire transaction at the pump, no going inside.
I'm considering selling the Bigfoot just so I can get a RDS auxiliary tank. Or just get the tank and then remove it when using the Bigfoot.
**Yeah I know, I've been saying that a couple years.
And X3 on Buc-ees. If you don't stop you missed an experience. I rarely pass one up.
The first QT (Quick Trip) I saw was in Tulsa maybe 15 years ago. They seem to be spreading.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
When traveling through Texas if/when you see a Bucee's, picture of a beaver with a ball cap on, stop in, there's plenty of room to fuel up any combination of rv at possibly a 100 pumps, cleanest restrooms of any place you'll ever stop, food options, gifts & outdoor goodies, they're almost a destination in themselves.
I've stopped just once with the 5th wheel at a Bucee's and that was more than enough. Imagine 100 pumps and 800 cars, pickups, motorhomes, travel trailers and throw in 20 or 30 motorcycles all wanting to buy 20 gallons of fuel and then leave their vehicle at the pump for the 1/2 hour it takes to get into the bathroom and the other 3/4 of an hour it takes to get through the line at the counter after finding the Bucky Balls and a fountain coke...

But you're right... EVERYONE should visit one... ONCE
Old 06-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
I just returned from a week in NC and Tenn. and discovered a new station called QT. At least it was new to me and had the same price for diesel as the Circle K across the street and it had DEF at the pump, had air and water as well and the DW and granddaughter said the lace was spotless inside.....
Circle K is a convenience store that sells gas. QT is a gas station that sells convenience stuff. Other than that, they're the same place.

Buc-ee's is... well, nothing else is like Buc-ee's. It's like a Costco and a truck stop had babies.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:00 AM   #24
jimborokz

Interesting discussion, but to answer the OP's original question, yes, you can set Gas Buddy to look for diesel or gas and can set either to list by distance or by low price. I also use the I-exit app when traveling the Interstate which lists all the services at upcoming exits and you can link Gas Buddy to that app to show fuel prices at the exits.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #25
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Most of the time, I use the Pilot app, because as a Good Sam member I can get 5˘/gal off from them, and most of them have dedicated RV lanes (we have a gasser). When there aren't any Pilot /Flying J stations within reach, I go back to GasBuddy.

This brings up a question. Although I like the pump setups at Pilot/FlyingJ why is their pricing so expensive. Despite the 5 cent discount, it doesn't help when there is a cheaper option 10-15 cents less + with gas buddy there is an additional discount.

On our last trip my Chase credit card was the best option as it gave 5% points (translates to $/credit) up to the max of $75 (which I achieved that quarter)
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:31 AM   #26
jxnbbl

BTW, the only reason why I know the pricing in the area (for diesel) is that I use gas buddy. I find it very useful. I just bought a garmin gps RV 780 to relieve my stress levels when running into detours (low bridges, etc) so may become more dependent on that.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This brings up a question. Although I like the pump setups at Pilot/FlyingJ why is their pricing so expensive. Despite the 5 cent discount, it doesn't help when there is a cheaper option 10-15 cents less + with gas buddy there is an additional discount.

On our last trip my Chase credit card was the best option as it gave 5% points (translates to $/credit) up to the max of $75 (which I achieved that quarter)
Convenience (location) as in close to the interstate is one reason. Most truckers use a corporate account which is negotiated at a much lower rate. I have a Pilot/Flying J card that I use once a year for 10 gallons or so just to keep the account active as a "just in case" last option. I use Gas Buddy Pay. It links a card issued by Gas Buddy to a credit or debit card. When you use the app it will list "deals" close by. Typically 3 to 5 cents a gallon off but I've seen it as high as 20. The discount applies WITH any fuel rewards discount as well.

With the Gas Buddy discount card linked to a cash back credit card will typically and using the Shell Fuel Rewards card I typically get a min of 30 cents per gallon off. We rarely travel further than our tank will take us (about 5 hrs) before we stop. Then I go locally (truck only) to refule using Gas Buddy to find the best deal.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This brings up a question. Although I like the pump setups at Pilot/FlyingJ why is their pricing so expensive. Despite the 5 cent discount, it doesn't help when there is a cheaper option 10-15 cents less + with gas buddy there is an additional discount....
About the only people paying "advertised pump price" is us non-commercial users. Nearly all (maybe all) commercial truckers have a "negotiated cents off contract" with most of the larger truck stop franchises. So, when a JB Hunt pulls into Flying J or Pilot, they pump that $3.59 diesel and get a $0.59 discount so they pay $3 while we pay $3.59. Interstate Trucking or Trans-Continental Trucking may have negotiated even better discounts for their companies... Few (if any) "18 wheelers" are paying full price for the diesel they pump at truck stops.

So, we're "footing the bill" so to speak, for the trucker's discounted diesel..... Ain't life grand ???? LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #29
jxnbbl

Thanks, I do realize that fleet discounting and have the gas buddy card linked to my bank account. However, I didn't know that you could link a credit card to it and there can cascade the discounting. Good info.

I have a todo list item to see if there are any other 'fleet cards' that are available to consumers.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #30
JDDilly

Check out the fuel program from TSD Logistics. It gives you the trucker discounts at truck stops. I have been using it for a couple years and it is great.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #31
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure if they still offer it but I used to have an account with FlyingJ, up to $1500 a month paid in full in 30 days 0% int.. With Good Sam added discount was 18˘ per gal and IDed at pump so did not have to go in before or after pumping.(That was a nice perk along with free thermos refills and monthly specials.) When Pilot took over I was no longer using it that much so I canceled it. I travel mostly at night so getting off interstates and right back on a big plus for me. Truckstops are the only way to go.
If there are people that need food and other necessities where you are going there will be diesel available for the trucks that deliver them. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #32
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
About a year ago a friend turned me on to TSD Logistics, it is a fuel card program that gives you discounts at some truck stops. Their app shows prices at truck stops in about a 100 mile radius and will link to google maps for directions. If you plan it right you can save as much as $0.30-40 a gallon plus if you need DEF it is always fresher at Truck Stops and if you need some cash you can get a fee free $200. It is linked to your bank account for payment.

Here is one of my transactions
The TDS card is great! Not only very good discounts but it makes it easier to fuel when you go through the truck lanes...no more worrying about getting fuel at the "auto fuel" pumps.

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote