Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigPig View Post
Chuck, thanks for the info. I am thinking a 2000/4000 inverter with 100W solar panels will meet our needs. Most of the time we camp we should have electrical hookups, so I'm not sure I want to get too in depth with it, I just want to make sure we have some electricity when we need it.

I'm just wondering if it'd be ok to plug the camper directly into the inverter and only use the outlets that I need, or if I should just plug whatever I want to use right into the inverter. Or if it doesn't make a difference.

First item you should consider is the solar panel you intend to use. Keep in mind that whatever wattage you purchase, will only deliver 80% of it's rated capacity under ideal conditions. Second, the lower voltage output associated with a 100 watt solar panel means it it won't begin to produce enough voltage to begin charging as compared to a panel that produces 37 volts (like 300+ watt panels do). Third, a discussion hasn't taken place as to the storage battery you plan to draw current from, to supply the inverter. To produce 15 amps of 120 volts from the inverter, more than 100 amps is going to be drawn from the battery. Without giving forethought to the storage battery, you will likely find yourself with a dead battery before the day is half through. fourth, Lead acid and AGM batteries initially charge quickly but will slow down as the charge reaches 80%. The 100 amp panel planned, won't be able to fully recharge the battery before the sun goes down. fifth, Lead acid and AGM batteries will only deliver about 50% of their rated amp hours before reaching the cut off point. Here is one of the best links I've found that addresses storage batteries:

firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #22
Gunny Mike

I was thinking of running a solar panel for charging my TT battery with my ceiling lights, then have a seperate solar panel and batteries with an inverter for my lower wattage AC electrical needs (tv, coffee pot, phone chargers). Any problem with that setup?
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #23
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
I was thinking of running a solar panel for charging my TT battery with my ceiling lights, then have a seperate solar panel and batteries with an inverter for my lower wattage AC electrical needs (tv, coffee pot, phone chargers). Any problem with that setup?
Gunny, this can be real simple if you eliminate the coffee pot and just use a percolator type on the stove top. Heck, you're camping.
The rest, TV and phone chargers can run off an efficient 300w inverter installed right at the entertainment center. A 100w or larger solar panel will pretty much keep the batteries topped off to run the lights and other 12vdc accessories. But, you will need two batteries to be sure to have enough amps in the bank to last overnight.
Attached Images

I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #24
KimNTerry

Skip the percolator though burned boiled and burned coffee (yuck!). I boil water in a pan and pour it into a thermal carafe (DW likes Tea, I like Coffee) I have a pour over setup that can use either No 2 cones for single serve or number 4 cones and drip into a separate thermal carafe for coffee when more than coffee drinker is along. We have hot water all morning with no reheats. Great setup for us. For the USB electronics use the 12 volt car adapter or install some USB chargers and you don't even need an inverter. LED TV can run off a 150 watt inverter.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, solar