Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
gen3rbc

Level control panel

2018 Montana 305RL the level control is in the basement. Has anyone relocated the panel to the exterior. Some newer models the control is attached to the basement door or exterior wall under the bedroom slide. Would like to make it easier to access.
gen3rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3rbc View Post
2018 Montana 305RL the level control is in the basement. Has anyone relocated the panel to the exterior. Some newer models the control is attached to the basement door or exterior wall under the bedroom slide. Would like to make it easier to access.
Mine is in the basement ..I think it’s better inside personally.
If yours is in a storage lot I’d be afraid someone would mess with the control,also has to be better protected from weather inside.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the "control pads" that I've seen are either mounted inside the storage compartment, inside the propane compartment or inside a "waterproof box" that is mounted in a cutout in the trailer sidewall. I have never seen a trailer with the control pad screwed to the trailer sidewall and exposed to the elements.

Thinking about it, if the pad were "out in the open" then anyone could access it, use it to move the jacks and/or the landing gear to facilitate stealing your trailer. If for no other reason than "security and protection from water intrusion" I would not consider "mounting the control pad on the trailer sidewall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #4
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Mine is in the basement ..I think it’s better inside personally.
If yours is in a storage lot I’d be afraid someone would mess with the control,also has to be better protected from weather inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All of the "control pads" that I've seen are either mounted inside the storage compartment, inside the propane compartment or inside a "waterproof box" that is mounted in a cutout in the trailer sidewall. I have never seen a trailer with the control pad screwed to the trailer sidewall and exposed to the elements.

Thinking about it, if the pad were "out in the open" then anyone could access it, use it to move the jacks and/or the landing gear to facilitate stealing your trailer. If for no other reason than "security and protection from water intrusion" I would not consider "mounting the control pad on the trailer sidewall.
Both of these statements make good sense in both ways weather and crazies that could/would mess with it. Besides it is not something you are constantly using on a daily basis. Mine is located in a cutout in the front left side with a lockable door. It is in a perfect position where I can easily see my hitch while connecting/disconnecting.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:38 AM   #5
gen3rbc

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #6
ChuckS

And YES.. you can relocate that Lippert level up control panel elsewhere if desired.. The limiting factor will be the overall length of the Lippert supplied harness cable that runs from the Forward control module located up high inside the front storage compartment to the level up control panel

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
gen3rbc

A friend purchased a new fiber with the control in a secure lock box, port side. Just wanted to have easier access. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3rbc View Post
A friend purchased a new fiber with the control in a secure lock box, port side. Just wanted to have easier access. Thanks for your input!
Most likely the panel is behind a CH751 key, the most common key there is. If yours is in a compartment, it might be the CH 751 or it could be the R001, or even possibly the same as the entry door. Any key other than the CH 751 will be more secure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control panel