Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
skids

adjustment Dometic Fridge

The last time out, we noticed that the temperature in the fridge was above the blue zone on the thermometer (a bit too warm). This was when we were hooked up to pedestal power. I raised the adjuster as high as it would go without pulling the sensor out of the clip. Is the sensor supposed to be more or less exposed in that clip to make the adjustments, or is the clip and sensor moved together to a new elevation to adjust???

P.S. the propane operation seemed to do a better job of keeping the temperature in the blue zone.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The thermister should be in the plastic holder. LP works better IMO because the flame is hotter than the heating element.

Have you thought about adding a fan in the outside compartment, and another in the fridge? The one in the compartment moves more air and helps the cooling unit work better. I also use a fan powered by 2 D cell batteries sitting in the condensation tray, blowing upward to circulate the cold air in the fridge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
skids

No Chuck. I wouldn't know where to put a fan in the fridge. I am already restricted by DW on the number of beers in there. I have heard of people using computer cooling fans.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You can buy a "cooling fin fan assembly" from Amazon for anywhere between $40 to over $100. They clip/mount to the cooling fins at the top of the refrigerator section and "blow air through the fins to help distribute the cold air throughout the box. It helps "even the temperature in all areas of the refrigerator and cuts down on ice buildup which can interfere with cooling, making the system work harder and not cool as well. The problem with them, IMO, is that they need to be "installed and wired" into the refrigerator. That means they use battery power when dry camping and we all know where that leads.... Here's one such Amazon offering: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

An alternative fan, that uses 2 D cell batteries and lasts "most of the camping season" does much the same thing, doesn't need to be installed or wired into the refrigerator and seems to work fairly well. Like Chuck, I have mine sitting in the evaporator tray, under the cooling fins. It doesn't look like it would do much good, but it makes a significant difference. At around $30, it's also a bit cheaper then the installed fans. Mine is about 15 years old and still "moving air", so as cheap as they look, they are reliable. Here's one Amazon offering: https://www.amazon.com/VALTERRA-A10-...064E4K8O&psc=1 There is a cheaper version that doesn't have a switch, to turn it off, you need to remove the battery. Good and bad about that: If you have to remove the battery, it can't leak and ruin the fan. If it has a switch, it's faster than removing the battery.... Pretty much a "dealer's choice". Mine doesn't have a switch and it has never corroded since there's never a battery stored in the unit.

This one is similar to mine: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...006MRQYU&psc=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge