Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Canadan99

Inverter Use?

I'm not sure if I've posted before but I've certainly read a lot of threads here. I have a 2011 Cougar and was trying to run the TV off of an inverter for my granddaughter so we don't have to run the generator all the time. I have a 500w inverter and there is a 12vdc plug below the TV which I believe would be for satellite. Anyway, the inverter I have only runs 100W through the cigarette adapter and the TV pulls 157W.

I recently set up Renogy solar panels that I'll be mounting on the roof however they also have some inverters they recommend. My basic question is this:

The inverter seems to come with 3' cables to connect to the battery which would allow me to mount the inverter in the front storage space however how am I supposed to use the inverter for anything in the trailer? It would have two power plugs and a USB but those are all useless if they're in the front storage space. For some reason this confuses me.
Canadan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadan99 View Post
I'm not sure if I've posted before but I've certainly read a lot of threads here. I have a 2011 Cougar and was trying to run the TV off of an inverter for my granddaughter so we don't have to run the generator all the time. I have a 500w inverter and there is a 12vdc plug below the TV which I believe would be for satellite. Anyway, the inverter I have only runs 100W through the cigarette adapter and the TV pulls 157W.

I recently set up Renogy solar panels that I'll be mounting on the roof however they also have some inverters they recommend. My basic question is this:

The inverter seems to come with 3' cables to connect to the battery which would allow me to mount the inverter in the front storage space however how am I supposed to use the inverter for anything in the trailer? It would have two power plugs and a USB but those are all useless if they're in the front storage space. For some reason this confuses me.
You could run a new 14/2 romex wire from the front storage space to the living area and have a dedicated outlet for the tv and wire a plug to the romex at the inverter. I think some people ( I wouldn’t recommend) use an extension cord.
There are some threads on the forum if you do a search for solar or inverter
Some inverters allow you to hardwire directly into the inverter
Old 05-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

When you install an inverter, it needs to be as close as possible to the battery(s). You can run Romex to the other end of the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Canonman

"It would have two power plugs and a USB but those are all useless if they're in the front storage space. For some reason this confuses me."

I did my install a little different than Chuckster proposes. I ran a #10 wire (Heavier wire gauge minimizes the DC voltage drop) from the fused side of the resettable fuse near the batteries to the entertainment center in our Cougar. I installed our 750 watt inverter on the shelf below the TV. The TV plugs directly into the inverter when we aren't on shore power. This method also provides access to the USB ports on the inverter to charge the cell phones and laptop.
Easy install and great accessibility. We don't use the inverter for any other functions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	33775  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Canadan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
"It would have two power plugs and a USB but those are all useless if they're in the front storage space. For some reason this confuses me."

I did my install a little different than Chuckster proposes. I ran a #10 wire (Heavier wire gauge minimizes the DC voltage drop) from the fused side of the resettable fuse near the batteries to the entertainment center in our Cougar. I installed our 750 watt inverter on the shelf below the TV. The TV plugs directly into the inverter when we aren't on shore power. This method also provides access to the USB ports on the inverter to charge the cell phones and laptop.
Easy install and great accessibility. We don't use the inverter for any other functions.
This is similar to what I was thinking of doing as well. My trailer is sprayed underneath for cold weather camping so I’m not sure how I would run the wire. I don’t quite follow what you mean when you say #10 wire from the ‘fused side of the resettable fuse near the batteries’ though.

My water pump is right below the shelf under the tv so if I could run wire under the trailer I could come up through that space I believe.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Hblick48

My 1200 watt inverter is mounted to the ceiling of the battery compartment. I ran two 14 gauge "extension cords" through the basement to both the bedroom and living room entertainment centers. TV and satellite receiver are on power strip. When I use the inverter, I unplug the power strip from shore power and plug it into the inverter plug. I also installed a 12 hour mechanical timer to control the inverter. I set it to turn the inverter off so it doesn't run all night draining the batteries. This setup works for me.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #7
Canonman

"I don’t quite follow what you mean when you say #10 wire from the ‘fused side of the resettable fuse near the batteries’ though."

The resettable fuse is usually located near the batteries. There may be more than one depending on the number of accessories in your trailer. Here is picture of what you're looking for. The battery attaches to one side and the accessories attach to the other side. The side with the accessory wiring is the fused side.
I used low voltage garden lighting wire. It comes in different gauges so be sure to get the largest gauge you can. #10 should do the job at 25 feet or so.
The wire is weather resistant so routing is easier. I have a fifth wheel so everything went through the storage area and up into the entertainment center pretty easily. Maybe you can tuck it up under the frame. Just make sure it is secure and won't be coming loose as you travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download.png
Views:	49
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	33799  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
"I don’t quite follow what you mean when you say #10 wire from the ‘fused side of the resettable fuse near the batteries’ though."

The resettable fuse is usually located near the batteries. There may be more than one depending on the number of accessories in your trailer. Here is picture of what you're looking for. The battery attaches to one side and the accessories attach to the other side. The side with the accessory wiring is the fused side.
I used low voltage garden lighting wire. It comes in different gauges so be sure to get the largest gauge you can. #10 should do the job at 25 feet or so.
The wire is weather resistant so routing is easier. I have a fifth wheel so everything went through the storage area and up into the entertainment center pretty easily. Maybe you can tuck it up under the frame. Just make sure it is secure and won't be coming loose as you travel.
That seems like a small wire gauge for the inverter running to the battery’s at that length ..I would think you need a #6 wire or larger.. I have a 2000 watt inverter and use 1/0 wire ..I wouldn’t skimp on wire gauge ...ever
Old 05-27-2021, 05:49 AM   #9
Canadan99

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responses. This will be my next project after I run the wires for my solar panels (and maybe replace interior speakers). So much to do...

On a similar note, I finally removed a cover from something that was mounted in my front storage. It appears to have the fuse shown in a previous response and to be honest I didn't know why that panel was there. I also noticed it has a booster for TireMinder and I have sensors on my tires but I bought this second-hand from a dealership and they didn't give me a monitor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panel1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	33809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	33810  

Tags