Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
JesPasnThru

How to change from remote to digital

Has anyone changed a Dometic Duo-therm IR0101 handheld remote control for the a/c on a 2005 Cougar 285 to an analog or digital wall thermostat?

Or does anyone know if the ceiling receiver for the remote can be replaced with a digital thermostat?

...just wondering.

Thanks!!
05 Cougar 285 2013 F150 5L (soon to be upgraded)
“I want to know God’s thoughts. The rest are details.”
-Einstein
JesPasnThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesPasnThru View Post
Has anyone changed a Dometic Duo-therm IR0101 handheld remote control for the a/c on a 2005 Cougar 285 to an analog or digital wall thermostat?

Or does anyone know if the ceiling receiver for the remote can be replaced with a digital thermostat?

...just wondering.

Thanks!!

My old 2002 has an analog wall control and it was just plug and play with the new Brisk II I installed two years ago as the bottom (inside) part is what talks to the wall control and they didn't care that the new unit was installed up above. I think if you talk with a qualified Dometic tech they can explain if what you are trying to do is possible as the control gizmo in the lower section changed I think.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
JesPasnThru

That’s good to know. I hadn't thought about just asking a Dometic tech. That’s probably a fast track to what I need to know.
Thx!
-Einstein
Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Carl n Susan

That Remote Control (Infared) Control Thermostat was the most hated feature of 2005-2006 RVs. Dometic did have a Comfort Control Center (CCC2) replacement thermostat. A quote from someone who did the replacement is:

The kit includes a Duo-therm comfort control system digital thermostat (Part # 3109228.001), and a "Electric Kit" (part # 3109226.005). The install looks pretty straight forward. Simply remove the existing remote wall unit, and plug the rj11 telephone jack into the back of the new thermostat, and mount on the wall. Replace the control board in the ceiling A/C unit, and you are good to go. The control board has connections for the rj11 cable, furnace, 110V, 12V, and freeze control. Looks to me like it would take about an hour to replace the whole thing.

Click on this *LINK* to go a LLLOOONNNGGG discussion about this thermostat, it's problems, and replacement. Post #64 is one of the most helpful parts. Unfortunately most of the pictures were stored in TinyPic and are no longer available. But there should be enough information here to get you going.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
JesPasnThru

I will indeed read that post. THANK YOU!!
-Einstein
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
JesPasnThru

[/QUOTE]Click on this *LINK* to go a LLLOOONNNGGG discussion about this thermostat, it's problems, and replacement. Post #64 is one of the most helpful parts. Unfortunately most of the pictures were stored in TinyPic and are no longer available. But there should be enough information here to get you going.[/QUOTE]

That link was VERY informative. Thank you!!! I’ve received an email from Dometic confirming those part no’s. for my unit. I’ve purchased the 5 button comfort controller, a new freeze sensor, and the new master control that goes inside the A/C unit should arrive today. The weather here should begin cooling slightly next week (highs of 88 rather than 100+) So I plan to take the challenge then.

I’m also going to Lowe’s to get a 15’ length of 4-strand phone cable, two RJ11 connectors, and a crimper. I believe I’m to crimp each end piece in opposite directions to reverse the polarity? I read something about that.

I guess I’m good to go when the control arrives and the weather cools. The firefighters just north of us who are fighting Colorado’s largest wildfire in recorded history (Pine Gulch fire at 135k acres as of this morning) will be very glad to see the 100+ degree temps go away, too! And it will be nice to stop breathing all this smoke.

Father, bless and keep safe the firefighters!
-Einstein

Tags
remote