Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 PM   #21
DavenKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
A couple pumps is nothing in the EZ lube system. It takes about 1/2 a tube or so to fill the empty cavity between the bearings. If you go this route you are supposed to lift a wheel and spin it while pumping grease until it comes out the front of the spindle area after going through the front bearing. The concept is great in my opinion. The actual use is horrific. There is no way to tell while you pump half of the tube of grease in it it is coming forwards or going out your rear seal and into the brake drum. That coats the brake shoes in grease and they are junk, and you have compromised brakes. I did this and had three seals fail. Cost me 4 backing plates to have brakes again.
Filling the hub defeats the design of the EZ Lube axles. Any excess grease goes into the center of the hub. If you fill it, the grease has no where to go but out the seal.
DavenKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #22
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenKC View Post
Filling the hub defeats the design of the EZ Lube axles. Any excess grease goes into the center of the hub. If you fill it, the grease has no where to go but out the seal.
That's not true. It comes out the front around the nut and washer. Check this video from Dexter.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #23
04ctd

i usually have a "maintenance week" during the spring or fall, when its cool.

change oil in the lawnmowers/psi washers, change blades.
grease all hubs, repair trailer lights, generally get filthy & feel manly.
like the above video, i usually push grease thru the zerk till fresh grease comes out the front, but I have never done RV axles.

today. i was setting here ENJOYING my new RV.
now, i am just worried about packing wheel bearings...

can we all ignore our wheel bearings and go back to worrying about corona?
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #24
Traveler2017

Just a note before I left Arizona and Southern California for my trip home to Canada in the end of March I followed Dexters plan to grease the bearings on my trailer(This being the Third time I have done this). Following instructions seems to have worked perfectly. I had decided while Boondocking in the Southern California that on my return i would do a complete brake job on the trailer and hence repack the bearings at the same time.
I was half expecting to find a seal or two damage by the Dexter method but no everything was the way it was supposed to be. I was right about the brakes and magnets although probably could have made one more trip.

So as usual there are two sides to every story, I have a mechanical background but if you don't get it professionally done.

Cheers everyone and safe travels as well as stay safe.
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
Todd Burton

So I'm my 2020 22rbs cougar, when would be the first time to grease the bearings
Todd Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Burton View Post
So I'm my 2020 22rbs cougar, when would be the first time to grease the bearings
If you're "betting your life" on the assumption that the axles/bearings were properly assembled during manufacturing, then I'd say after the first towing season...

On the other hand, there have been numerous "factory recalls" for improperly greased bearings from Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert, so you may, right now, be "running on ungreased/under greased bearings" and/or leaking rear seals that were improperly installed or torn during assembly....

Essentially, until you (or a competent mechanic) disassembles and checks the components, you are "towing with not much more than faith in the minimum wage employee who put those axles together on an assembly line".... Quite possibly in China.....

If you trust the factory workmanship, do it later, if you're unsure of what's actually "in the axles" do it sooner rather than later.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're "betting your life" on the assumption that the axles/bearings were properly assembled during manufacturing, then I'd say after the first towing season...

On the other hand, there have been numerous "factory recalls" for improperly greased bearings from Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert, so you may, right now, be "running on ungreased/under greased bearings" and/or leaking rear seals that were improperly installed or torn during assembly....

Essentially, until you (or a competent mechanic) disassembles and checks the components, you are "towing with not much more than faith in the minimum wage employee who put those axles together on an assembly line".... Quite possibly in China.....

If you trust the factory workmanship, do it later, if you're unsure of what's actually "in the axles" do it sooner rather than later.....
DO NOT use the EZ lube system!!!! It's the grease zerks on the ends of the spindles which allow you to pump grease through the bearings.
Remove & HAND PACK only & replace the seals.
Even following the manufacturer recommended procedure you can/will contaminate the brakes when the cheap factory seals bypass filling the drums with grease, greasing brake shoes it not recommended.
There's a handful of folks that swear by the EZ lube system, but there's a truckload of us that have had to replace all 4 brake assemblies that swear at the EZ lube.
If it's a new trailer, or new to you, I'd recommend doing it the 1st chance you have just for piece of mind.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
DO NOT use the EZ lube system!!!! It's the grease zerks on the ends of the spindles which allow you to pump grease through the bearings.
Remove & HAND PACK only & replace the seals.
Even following the manufacturer recommended procedure you can/will contaminate the brakes when the cheap factory seals bypass filling the drums with grease, greasing brake shoes it not recommended.
If it's a new trailer, or new to you, I'd recommend doing it the 1st chance you have just for piece of mind.
^^^ Totally agree with this, which is why I stated, "until you (or a competent mechanic) disassembles and checks the components"

The EZ Lube system is a "gimmick to sell axles" and is no substitute for inspecting the components INSIDE the axle that can't be seen or maintained properly with the EZ Lube technique.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote