Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
gunflintcamper

Hi From Wisconsin - Modified Passport

Hi...new here. From Wisconsin but near Minneapolis.

We have a 2019 Passport 197RB and tow with a 2020 Ram 1500. We did tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which was ok....but needed a truck anyway!

We’ve had literally 100 campers in the past 15 years...mostly bought, updated, repaired and sold popups and hybrids. Our last family camper was a 2013 Outback 210rs which was awesome when the kids were still home. Last fall we decided on the Passport 197RB because we just wanted a comfy bed and a nice bathroom for my husband and I...and we bought our grown kids their own pop up campers to keep their disaster out of ours!!

So we got the bathroom. Bed was miserable but expected. Immediately replaced the mattress but finally this week we finished most of the mods we wanted to do. The under bed storage and dinette were mostly useless to us. So we rebuilt the bed with storage and moved the sofa to where the dinette was.

We love love love it now. We normally do long road trips and hate slides, extra setup, and all that or we camp on the Gunflint Trail near Canada and enjoy being mostly outside in a tiny campsite. With two batteries and a small-ish footprint but big enough to hold us relatively chubby peeps comfortably at night...this is now our fav camper ever.

Attached pics. Always looking for more mod ideas.

Removed extra outside fridge too...need slide out bar plan. 🤷🏻😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF717FBC-53BF-435A-A0A7-35FDBA55CCE9.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	28292   Click image for larger version

Name:	495F2DE1-EBCA-41BD-A854-02AD9623FC99.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	28293   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EC9CFE2-14D4-4B9B-8B0E-B28ACD7CD8AD.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	28295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC1BA081-0253-462C-8C2E-11B86C3EF233.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	28296  
gunflintcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

100 campers in 15 years, that's a little over 1 camper every 2 months. I'm surprised the motor vehicle dept hasn't told you to get a dealer's license. That happened to a friend of mind that decided to start buying wrecked cars and sell them after fixing them up. After about 6 cars the first year they were at his door asking to see his business license and tax records.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
gunflintcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
100 campers in 15 years, that's a little over 1 camper every 2 months. I'm surprised the motor vehicle dept hasn't told you to get a dealer's license. That happened to a friend of mind that decided to start buying wrecked cars and sell them after fixing them up. After about 6 cars the first year they were at his door asking to see his business license and tax records.
Popups under 3000 pounds don’t need to be titled and registered in Wisconsin and my husband and I could legally only do two larger campers per year each. We are well aware of the laws...would have loved to get a dealers license to be allowed to do more, however in WI you can’t use your residence as the dealer location, no matter how rural. So it was never worth proceeding. It’s a fun hobby but would be a stressful business.
gunflintcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hi there, and welcome!

Sounds like you and DH are having a good time!

Stay safe.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Bill-2020

Welcome to the forum.

Love the interior modifications/changes you've made. We have a 2020-1/2 239ML that's almost identical as far as the bed/dinette/kitchen. Job well done.

I love the outside mini fridge. I keep the juice boxes for the grandkids out there... keeps them from going in/out a hundred times an hour (or so it seems). I also keep my "adult juice" out there as well. Leaves more room for the DW's needs inside. Now, I will say that the outdoor stove isn't totally useless, but it's a pain to use. The lid and sides leave a lot to be desired.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
197rb, mod, modifications, murphy bed, passport