Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Smitty43

Washer plumbing

My washer seems to be hooked up to my black water tank. Does anyone else think this is the case with theirs. I can empty my black water holding tank and the wife does a couple of load of clothes and my black water tank will show almost full. Any thoughts?---Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Not having washer plumbing, I'm certainly no expert, but my thought would be this:

You only use the washer when you have full hookups. So, running the excess soapsuds, fabric softener and increased water into the black tank probably isn't a bad idea. You'll wind up with a cleaner black tank than someone without a washer that empties as yours does. The only downside would be the frequent "lever pulls" to empty the black tank.

HOWEVER: if you plan to use it dry camping (generator and increased water useage) it probably wouldn't work very well. But then, are you really going to try doing that? If not, you're probably just fine with what you've got even though you'll need to empty the black tank after washing clothes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
mhs4771

Smitty, would be helpful if you listed your rig. On our Montana 2955RL the washer emptied directly into the discharge pipe, so it could only be used when we had full hook-ups. Our current SOB empties into the #1 Gray tank, but it would take many loads to fill the tank (if empty to start, maybe 3 small loads). So it all depends on make and model as to how and where the washer discharges too.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Smitty43

Our unit is a 2012 3200RL. I really don't have a problem with the way it is hooked up because we are full timers. You just have to empty the tank often.---Smitty
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
jrhaman

My 06 Montana 3400RL had the washer discharging into the black tank. I contacted Montana customer service about it and their responsey the connect it to whichever they want, no set way.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
mhs4771

That seems to be a problem with Keystone, and probably other MFRs, seems no two units are wired or plumbed the same. Seems each assembler has their own way of doing things. Makes for an interesting time trying to figure out a problem.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
D&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Smitty, would be helpful if you listed your rig. On our Montana 2955RL the washer emptied directly into the discharge pipe, so it could only be used when we had full hook-ups. Our current SOB empties into the #1 Gray tank, but it would take many loads to fill the tank (if empty to start, maybe 3 small loads). So it all depends on make and model as to how and where the washer discharges too.
I notice that you have a Spendide Combo. My wife has been considering this vs a separate washer and dryer. How has it worked for you ? Any thought's which may be the better way to go ?

We just bought a Montana 3582, our first fifth wheel, and we have a lot to learn.

Thanks
D&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Smitty43

I think , I may have miss stated what we have, we have the separate units,not the one unit does all as with a combo. We have had no problems with our units and would go with them again. The dryer seems to take a little while longer to dry, but that may be just the nature of the beast with the small units. The washing machine does good. Sure is nice to just throw some clothes in every other day and stay on top of the washing. I also noticed after the purchase , looking through the internet that other companys such as Maytag make these small unit also.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
mhs4771

D&L, we find the combo unit works fine for us. Had one in our Montana and now one in our SOB. You do need to keep the loads small and if using the drying cycle remove them as soon as it stops to keep the wrinkles at a minimum. We were doing laundry every other day, 2 pairs shorts, 4 tee shirts, and underware and because we were paying our own electric, we generally hung them out on lines off the back of the rig.