Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
Randallf

keeping roof clean of moss

I'm looking for a roof cleaner that stops moss from growing on the roof. If there is a product out there.
I can't cover my 5th wheel do to some health issues which permitts me from getting up on the roof.
I'm not sure what my roof is made of but i know its not rubber.
I have a 2017 kingstone Sprinter
I appreciate any help on this
BTW,my first winter without covering it.
Randallf
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
I'm looking for a roof cleaner that stops moss from growing on the roof. If there is a product out there.
I can't cover my 5th wheel do to some health issues which permitts me from getting up on the roof.
I'm not sure what my roof is made of but i know its not rubber.
I have a 2017 kingstone Sprinter
I appreciate any help on this
BTW,my first winter without covering it.
Randallf
The only RV roof material I'm aware of is EPDM and TPO both rubber. And of course they don't recommend anything but soap and water. They have a pesticide for moss but I don't know if it will damage the roof. I'm sure someone else has run across this.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your roof membrane is made of TPO, a plastic material. It does not (per the manufacturer) support or cause growth of mold or mildew. What does cause/support mold/mildew is the organic materials deposited on the membrane. Things like bird droppings, sap from parking under trees, dirt blown onto the roof while it's damp/wet.

The "key to a clean roof" is also the "key to a mold/mildew/moss free roof.

As for products that will help achieve that goal, I don't know of any that will do that. The manufacturer's cleaning/maintenance guides do recommend "comprehensive and through cleaning on a frequent and regular basis.

I clean mine with Dawn dish soap every year and follow that with a liberal coating of Aerospace 303. Whether that helps or not is anybody's guess, but it seems to help mine stay a little cleaner a little longer. I'm sure there are as many "owner contrived methods" as there are owners and trailers....

While it's not a "pick your poison" kind of process, it sometimes seems that way. The key, at least for me, is keeping the roof clean and making a conscious effort not to park it where it's exposed to birds, sap and dusty winds.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:33 AM   #4
Rvman

try a zinc strip on the roof, that should stop it from growing but to actually remove the moss from the roof you will want to use a roof scraper its a tool on the end of a pole specially made to remove moss from roofs. The wire brush was very good at removing it, but it did wreck my shoulders not a job I would actually recommend doing. best to pay someone else to do it
Rvman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof