Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
infantryofficer81

Furniture Woes!!

Hello All,
We purchased our 2016 Fuzion 420 brand new Recently, I noticed our sofa has started peeling and cracking in various places. Since the unit is no longer under warranty, I'm guessing we're on our own for repairs. I thought Thomas Payne is supposed to be very good furniture! Anyone have any ideas on how to repair it? Click image for larger version

Name:	WBDQ8265 (1).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	23481

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289 (1).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	23482

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293 (1).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	23483

Dennis & Jackie
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW, 6.7L CTD
2016 Fuzion 420 Chrome Toy Hauler
2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail SE
2020 Spyder RT Limited (Deep Marsala Red)
infantryofficer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:02 AM   #2
Roscommon48

payne is just another rv furniture company...basic.

you have a couple of options. complain to payne, redo the fabric or buy new chairs.

I'd start looking: https://www.bing.com/search?q=rv+fur...=en-US&PC=SMTS
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several threads reporting the same problem with the "Pleather" furniture. We have it in our 2014 Cougar, but so far it seems to be holding up pretty well. I do use Aerospace 303 on the furniture every fall when I put it into winter storage. I can't say that helps or hurts, just what I've done to try to keep our furniture looking as good as I can for as long as I can.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

We've got the same issue. So much for "pleather" and Thomas Payne furniture. It started about the end of the 3rd year on the recliners - none on the couch. I will say the recliners see far more use than the couch. We just put covers on them. I thought about buying new chairs but we keep saying we're going to buy another trailer so I haven't made that move yet. It IS irritating.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
infantryofficer81

Thanks everyone for responding. I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. I should have clarified that our problem was with the two recliners (as Sourdough stated) on each end and not the middle chairs. We have put covers on each where a person's head would rest. I'll try complaining to Thomas Payne, to see if they'll help. I do know the DW is not agreeing to put down almost $3,900.00 to replace them! At least that's the price at Trekwood RV Parts and Supply. Take care and be safe!

Dennis & Jackie
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW, 6.7L CTD
2016 Fuzion 420 Chrome Toy Hauler
2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail SE
2020 Spyder RT Limited (Deep Marsala Red)
infantryofficer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantryofficer81 View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. I should have clarified that our problem was with the two recliners (as Sourdough stated) on each end and not the middle chairs. We have put covers on each where a person's head would rest. I'll try complaining to Thomas Payne, to see if they'll help. I do know the DW is not agreeing to put down almost $3,900.00 to replace them! At least that's the price at Trekwood RV Parts and Supply. Take care and be safe!
You can replace with anything you chose, it does not have to be "RV specific" & cost 3 times as much for 3rd rate furniture. If DW likes it & it'll fit through the door, get it.
From my experience Trekwood & Camping World are the 2 most expensive places to buy RV stuff.
Try this;
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...8/product.html
They had theater seating in black also & still way under $4k.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
gearhead

Might also try someplace like COSTCO for replacements. Take some good measurements before you buy anything. It would be good if the backs of the chairs can be taken off. If not, there is the possibility you may have to remove a window to get them inside.
I have heard it's not that hard of a job to recover them yourself.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

We replaced the couch in our Cougar with a dual reclining love seat by La Z Boy i found on CL for $200. Back comes right out and the love seat was easy to fit through the door of our rig.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
chunker

During those years bonded leather was used. It's a sorry excuse for a furniture covering but cheap which is why it was used. You can expect that the peeling and cracking will continue and get worse. Google bonded leather to be completely disgusted. As stated any good furniture will work if you can get it in and it fits. Suggestion for couch or recliners, get "wall hugger" type and make sure the backs come off readily. Lazyboy and better makers generally do this but check specific models. On my Raptor I removed the entire crappy sofa inflatable bed assembly in the slide and bought 2 Best brand swivel rocker recliners. They were a "petite" size meaning not overstuffed and over sized.

Bonded leather was used in the 14-16 years primarily in most builds except higher ends. If looking for an RV in this years, expect it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantryofficer81 View Post
Take a look at RecPro. They make various furniture pieces for RVs. On the GFs Crusader she hated the booth dinette and the sofa bed was a POS as well as missing the mattress. She researched and found RecPro. What se selected was a modular recliner set up. I removed all the old stuff, in a LR area slide about 12', and installed the pieces. For her she got 2 end pieces, L & R, 2 inner sections the same width, and a wider center piece. For all the pieces the back cushion part fold down making a level tray table with 2 cup holders. Except for larger center piece they are wall hugging recliners with foot rests. Pieces interlock at the bases. Material is a vinyl "leather like" surface polyurethane, she chose light saddle color to lighten the interior. The 5 pieces fit in the slide area like they were made to. They sent her swatches of the material to see and touch. I see that fabric is offered now, something that wasn't when she ordered.

Cost wasn't bad, much less than a Lane or LazyBoy, free shipping, and FAST. I was skeptical about the quality but surprised at the beefy bases and frames. So far the material has held up well with no tears, cracking, peeling, etc. The trailer is a "more or less cabin" on the bayou in NW FL and gets a lot of use year round. Starting the 3rd years of use. My biggest beef is the material doesn't breathe well so when it's warm, much of the year, I put a towel behind me. Of course now no table or dinette but that's fine, TV trays if we eat inside.

I have no affiliation with RecPro just a satisfied user.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-modular-pieces/
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

LazyBoy dual reclining love seat on Craigslist was $150 by the way.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
LazyBoy dual reclining love seat on Craigslist was $150 by the way.
LazyBoy is good stuff, that's what's in the house. Usually backs come off for easier loading.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
LazyBoy is good stuff, that's what's in the house. Usually backs come off for easier loading.
We have leather reclining love seat & sofa in our house; wife bought it at a box store (don't recall which) and like them OK but the backs don't come off these. I checked with a notion of putting the love seat in the trailer and buying new (buying new was the missus idea). The love seat has the caddy in the middle and I would have to remove that section and then drill holes to bolt it together so it would fit as it is about a foot or two too long with the caddy but the backs don't come off so couldn't get it in the 23" door anyway.

LazyBoy is currently have a sale in San Antonio with 3 years no interest.