Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
jq1031

Question Leveling Jacks, anyone installed them?

Thinking about adding four manuel leveling jacks to my TT. I saw them in camping world catalogue & thought that could be a worthwhile addition. Has anyone had experience with these jacks?
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
DocData757

Which ones are your referring to?
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
jq1031

Dave, I don't have the catalogue handy, but I'm referring to the sissor jacks that have a lifting ability, not stablizer jacks. I believe they can lift 2000 lbs per jack! Seems like more than enough to level the TT a inch or two.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Handysam

Joe, I think before adding them I would check with Keystone to see if this would void your warranty, I'm afraid it would. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Handysam brings up a good point regarding voiding your warranty. I think we are all anxious to make modifications and upgrades so that we have our RV "just the way we want it to be". However, during the first year, it is important to be aware that if you do start making "product modifications" and using "unauthorized attachments" or "modifications to the structure, body, frame, etc." and any damage occurs as a result of these mods, your warranty is very likely to become void very quickly. The key word here is "unauthorized". Is is best to wait for a year until the warranty runs out before making modifications that may fall into a grey area?
Bob Landry in his posts has emphasized the importance of safety in doing electrical mods and upgrades --- make sure you know what you are doing first of all and then do it right. This is another area where you could get caught should your faulty wiring and using incorrect components cause an electrical fire or shock. Not likely that you would have much ground to claim damage or injury.
jq1031 -------I am wondering what would happen IF you were to bend the frame, or cause some structural component to crack when you are using the jacks to level your unit? Would you be able to make a claim? Certainly seems like the advice of Handysam is worth thinking about. Check with Keystone first??
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
jq1031

A very good heads up...thanks guys, I'll call Keystone monday AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
jq1031

Unhappy

Got the word from KEYSTONE today. Modifications MAY void your warrenty. Example, if I were to install the jacks & I had a problem with anything coming loose or leaking it could be blamed on the modification! So, back to the old leveling blocks, at least for now!!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
DocData757

I've been considering something along this line too and may do it. Once the 5vr is setup, its fine except that it bounces a little because we are still sitting on the suspension. My plan is to put the jacks just behind the rear tires and then jack them up just enough to make solid contact with the frame. I won't try to lift it nor will I attach them to the frame. I'm thinking this will get rid of the bounce. I may use 4 of them, 2 in front and 2 behind the tires in the same place they put those hydraulic leveling systems for 5vrs. Again, I am not going to try to lift the camper at all. Doesn't seem to be a reason to do that. I just want a set solid points that will stop the downward motion of the camper due on the the suspension. This is a lot like blocking up a mobile home.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
Slownsy

If you can plase a jack under frame near wheels to lift fiver ther is no reasen not to plase 1 in all 4 corners
Slownsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Charlotte01

Hubby wanted hydraulic jacks when we bought our first class A back in 2000 and the dealership paid to have Big Foot hydraulic jacks installed. Cost back then was several grand so must be quite a bit more today. We loved them and only concern was you could not move in the RV at all while it was leveling as it was very sensitive to any movement.
Charlotte01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
cmssorrell

I have the same problem, the wife and I can feel a little up and down movement when we walk. Even with a 15lb dog a little up and down movement can be felt.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slownsy View Post
If you can plase a jack under frame near wheels to lift fiver ther is no reasen not to plase 1 in all 4 corners
'S all about the frame bracing. The frame is very vulnerable to supporting weight properly by many factors and if improperly lifted it will twist and bend. Same thing applies to vehicles, that's why your owners manual in your truck or car has a section on jacking and lifting with specific jacking jack points labeled.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #13
matthewc45

I have a springdale 303bhssr. I instilled two jacks in the middle of my trailer so that the TT want bounce around when we come in and out. It also help with the bounce when my 5 and 3 yearold boys would run around on the inside.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
gbsb

We have a 40 foot toyhauler and when set up we had a lot of bounce. I went to Walmart and picked up a set of screw jackstands in their rv section. They are light weight aluminum and cost $29.00 I think for 4 of them in a box. Like was said eailer I put them in front of axles and behind axles tightened up just enough to stabalize they took all the bounce out, love them and it doesn't take long to put them in. light weight and easy to store. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
I've been considering something along this line too and may do it. Once the 5vr is setup, its fine except that it bounces a little because we are still sitting on the suspension. My plan is to put the jacks just behind the rear tires and then jack them up just enough to make solid contact with the frame. I won't try to lift it nor will I attach them to the frame. I'm thinking this will get rid of the bounce. I may use 4 of them, 2 in front and 2 behind the tires in the same place they put those hydraulic leveling systems for 5vrs. Again, I am not going to try to lift the camper at all. Doesn't seem to be a reason to do that. I just want a set solid points that will stop the downward motion of the camper due on the the suspension. This is a lot like blocking up a mobile home.
I would agree with this even to the point of lifting, if you want to level using jacks they should be very close to the normal support points while towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slownsy View Post
This would put an entirely different load on the frame and structure, the corners are designed just for stabilization.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote