Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
grubby

Rear panel

Was getting her cleaned up and noticed the rear panel has seperated from the top and bulge out a good 4 to 6 in.
Never seen anything like it what would be the cause and price to fix this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0425191804_HDR.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	21619   Click image for larger version

Name:	0425191804.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	21620  
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
busterbrown

Water is most suspiciously the cause as delamination of the exterior wall has caused it to buckle and separate at the seam. Most likely, a proper fix will require a new rear panel. It wont be cheap.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The rear panel is not "laminated" (as the side walls) and is just "hung in place" after the insulation and wiring are in place. All that holds it in position is the edge molding, window frames, tail light assemblies and any other "through the wall" attachments.

It looks like your rear panel slipped out from under the top molding. If it has not been damaged by water, you may be able to remove the molding along the top and sides and reposition the FILON so the moldings will completely cover and secure the panel in position.

If that doesn't work, then you're faced with a couple of options. First, and the most "ideal" (also the most expensive) is to replace the entire rear panel. Second, you might want to consider locating a wider top molding or possibly making one or having it made at a local sheet metal fabricating shop. Install it over the location of the existing top molding and have it made wide enough to come down over the existing FILON that's wrinkled. A 6" or 8" sheet metal molding (actually an aluminum strip) painted to match or contrast the existing rear panel wouldn't look too bad and if done correctly, wouldn't be noticeable as a repair. If you do choose either of these alternatives, be sure to carefully inspect the underlying structure for water damage and repair that as well as the outer panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Tbos

There was someone on the forum with a Bullet a few years ago that had the same issue. A dealer fixed it for a good sum of money. Hope you are able to get it fixed as suggested by JRTH.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Canonman

Damage like that might be covered by your insurance policy. If your TT is stored at home it might even be covered un the homeowners policy. I'd at least ask. Lord knows we pay enough in premiums.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
grubby

I've filed a clame with my insurance but the only place within 50 miles that will do the repairs said it would be up to 2 weeks to get the estament for the repairs.
I'm also kinda wondering are they going to do like a car or truck, if it cost so much to fix it will they total it out or what
And he said he wouldnt know what caused it till they pulled it apart
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
busterbrown

The cost of professional replacement of a rear panel will be in $1000's. No doubt. Your coach looks relatively new (or newer). Insurance won't declare it a complete loss unless the cost to repair exceeds its current market value. If it's just a rear panel replacement, I'd suspect it would be repaired.

Here's a thread I found on the same issue:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=23394
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
440justin

grubby,

How did you end up resolving your issue? In 2017 I found the rear wall of my 2013 Passport had slid down and was curling so it was out of of the molding. For now I have removed my center clearance light and placed some sheet metal and bolt through the wall frame in it is place and it has been holding. I have been thinking about taking of the project of removing the rear wall to reinforce the wall so it will not curl.