Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
PT RV`er

Best, inexpensive satellite package

I keep throwing around the idea of purchasing a satellite system for the rig. Camping World has offers all the time with the Dish pay as you go packages. I`m now seeing this Wally Receiver package for $400.00.
Does anybody have this system or something similar, and if so, does it really work? How difficult is it to set up and does it really lock in on the satellites itself? Does the weather effect the signal?
Thank you in advance for any input.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
Grawe

Re: Best, inexpensive satellite package

Wally is only the inside reciever box and these are typically on sale for 80-100 at CW. The more expensive part of you system is the exterior antenna. I bought the Winegard and 2 VP211Z (predecessor to the Wally) relievers over a year ago. My system has been good, easy to work with, setup and acquires a signal well. Compare Dish and Direct for package prices. Your question of best and inexpensive don't always go together but you can get into a good setup for the 400 you mentioned. Also depends how many TVS and receivers you want. Finally, the Wally is still new. It had some really bad bugs when it was first released but Dish seems to be working through them. The 211 are still available and work well but I plan to get the Wally in the spring.

Grawe
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:03 AM   #3
PT RV`er

Thank you for the input. Yeah, best and inexpensive is going to be hard to figure out but I thought I would try.
I`m looking more along the lines of a system similar to the Tail gator or just purchasing the Tail gator. But I want to see if there is any real user input from multiple systems before I decide to purchase one. I don`t want to break the bank as I will only be using it part time.
I`ll check into the system you mentioned.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
mfifield01

I had this debate a few months ago. My wife didn't want to miss college football in the fall. What I did was switch my home service to Directv (from Time Warner). That way, I really don't pay any additional monthly fees. I take the third receiver put it in the TT while loading up. I went with the King Quest automatic carry out satellite. Unfortunately, it doesn't pick up HD channels. I focused more on having a better service at home and decent service on the road. The King Quest is awesome. I only had one site/area that was a little difficult to pull reception. Typically I just point it south and come back when the guide has downloaded.

I would look at a couple of things for a decision:
Do you have sat service at home?
Do you need HD TV on the road?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I had this debate a few months ago. My wife didn't want to miss college football in the fall. What I did was switch my home service to Directv (from Time Warner). That way, I really don't pay any additional monthly fees. I take the third receiver put it in the TT while loading up. I went with the King Quest automatic carry out satellite. Unfortunately, it doesn't pick up HD channels. I focused more on having a better service at home and decent service on the road. The King Quest is awesome. I only had one site/area that was a little difficult to pull reception. Typically I just point it south and come back when the guide has downloaded.

I would look at a couple of things for a decision:
Do you have sat service at home?
Do you need HD TV on the road?
I do not have sat service at home. I have OTA and internet. I dropped cable.
HD TV would be nice. I`m basically starting from scratch.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
mfifield01

From my research, Dish is the better option solely for RV usage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
cardinal96ss

We purchased the King VQ4510 Dish Tailgater package from Amazon for about $440 last summer and have been totally satisfied with it. The package includes the antenna, the Dish receiver, remote and Coax. The Tailgater is portable, but we chose to mount it on the roof, which was very easy. It works great. The additional receiver costs $7/mon for the months that you use it.

Once we have shore or generator power and turn the receiver on, the antenna quickly finds the satellites. If you have traveled a distance since last using it, you may have to tell the receiver where you are from a pull down menu, but it's simple.

I like that one doesn't have to repeatedly sync the receiver and the antenna. (We had a Winegard Carry out. It didn't come near to the performance and ease of this system.) While the small antenna won't pull a signal like a large antenna we have been happy and only suffer when a rain storm is heavy.

One possible additional benefit of this over the Winegard is that my vocabulary has been cleaned up significantly.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
PT RV`er

Thanks Cardinal, I`ll research that one as well.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Larry1013

I like the Dish service. As stated by others, use the house bedroom receiver in the trailer. I like the fact it does HD where Direct-TV does not. I have one of the older Winegard Roadtrip MiniMax that is the stationary roof mounted unit. I made a mount for the rear bumper with a mast and mount for the dish on top. I pick up 12vdc power from the refrigerator that is next to the mast. I can set up the unit in about 15 minutes including the tv searching for the satellite. This keeps the dish out of the way when in a crowded area such as a tailgate event or similar. When not in use and traveling, I store the dish in the trailer on the kitchen table and the mast with dish mount in the bumper mount.

I also carry a tripod that the dish mount will fit should I be parked where I can not get a clear view of the satellite.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
Joecycle12

Great satellite mount idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joecycle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
bdp711

Just curious, have you bought the Wally and how does it work? Looking to get a system for my 30RIPR for tailgating season.
bdp711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite