Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #21
slow

Boosting wifi signal in campground

I completed the install this weekend.

I also took the opportunity to reposition the Wingard SensarPro display. It was previously mounted on the ceiling making it impossible to see when adjusting the antenna.

This is the cabinet behind the TV (tv not mounted for the season yet). I made a "box" for a switched 12Vdc socket and the SensarPro. On the far right is the R36 router for our local Network.

Here is the mount for the wifi booster mounted to the batwing antenna.

With the booster mounted:

I ended up drilling a hole for the USB cable directly in front of the batwing base. The area was already reinforced with an extra piece of 1/2" plywood under the 1/4" roof sheathing.

I used butyl tape on the underside of the cable cover and then applied dicor to seal it all up.

I also made a short video of the R36 router setup for those that may be tempted to take on this project or are interested in how difficult (or easy) it is to setup.

https://youtu.be/CcTlEbUYfcw

BTW: I routed the USB cable through the ceiling by taking advantage of the holes already in the ceiling for the antenna crank and light fixture. I drilled a hole behind the smoke alarm and a hole in the ceiling within the cabinet behind the TV. I then pulled the wire from hole to hole (roof hole, to antenna crank hole, to light fixture, to smoke alarm then to hole above TV cabinet) to get it across the TT from the antenna to the TV cabinet. The most challenging wire pull was between the smoke detector and TV cabinet since it had to go under the a/c duct.

First use in a campground will be in about three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
Frank G

This has been a very interesting discussion. Not wanting to hijack the thread but to add to the topic.

We spent the month of February at Cypress Campground and RV Park outside of Winter Haven Fl. Yep, all the issues with the campground wifi. One morning I noticed an available wifi named "Cable" so I hit connect and it took me to a page that allowed me to enter my Time Warner (now Spectrum) password. We had great wifi the rest of the stay. Never knew this was part of the package.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #23
Mandolin

Piggybacking on this - normally when we travel I use a Verizon Wifi Jetpack (provides wifi from a cell signal). Several of my favorite Oregon state parks have really marginal cell signal - 1 bar of 4G, 1 bar of 3G or maybe even 1-2 bar of 1X.

I see (rather pricey) cell range boosters/extenders on Amazon, some for home use, some for car use, some specifically for RV use, like Weboost and HiBoost. Anyone have any experience with these?

Also, since I am uninterested in TV reception yet have what I assume is a TV antenna on the trailer, can I make use of that for the wiring for an antenna for a cell range extender? I suspect the wiring is for incompatible frequencies.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #24
Bumala

I installed a wifi ranger on my Laredo 23RB. I bought the SkyPro pack, because I'm cheap, and most rv parks don't have the highest speed wifi anyway. It delivers 24 MBPS in my front yard. It will be interesting to see what we get on the road.
I like the fact that it is a router between the external wifi network and the trailer. This way I don't have to change all of my wifi things to the park wifi network. I only have to change the wifi ranger.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #25
SummitPond

I just bought a Belkin Wi-Fi Range Extender from Wally World for $17 off their close-out rack. It works great at home (I have issues with adequate coverage); I will try it in the trailer when we're on the road. Setup was simple (did it from my phone) and it passes through the security you have on your (or the campground's) router. If your Wally World doesn't have one, I saw an add with a Google search at Office Depot for $50; Radio Shack (if you can find one) for $30.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote