Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
fred

avalanache

i have a 2012 345tg and a 2009 2500 hd duramax. towed home from dealer everything seemed fine. just me and wife never haul fresh water travel with just what is needed. specs on truck say i am within weight limits and was like to know if anyone else tows with this set up and how it works. thank you for your help.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
mhs4771

The only way you will know for sure is to get weighed. Pin weight specs are generally on the light side. We're almost 1000 lbs more on the Pin than the specs, but we're fine because of the 3500 dually. I would check what your real weights are. Remember you still have to be able to stop all the weight behind you. No matter how carefully you drive there are those idiots who think you can stop on a dime and give 9cents change, so they'll pull out right in front of you. Get yourself to the scales, then run the numbers.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
captbru

Your truck will pull the weight, however your over all cargo wgt is another question. My 2005 HD Duramax has a cargo max of 2785lbs. Keystone post's a hitch wgt empty for your unit of 2140lbs. Check the door post on your truck for the max cargo wgt then subtract hitch wgt and then everything that will be in the truck, fuel, people, tow hitch etc etc. Then figure you trailer hitch wgt will be more with stuff in the trailer. Read thread on another forum, when I asked about wgt.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25393194.cfm
Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
i have a 2012 345tg and a 2009 2500 hd duramax. towed home from dealer everything seemed fine. just me and wife never haul fresh water travel with just what is needed. specs on truck say i am within weight limits and was like to know if anyone else tows with this set up and how it works. thank you for your help.
How about some numbers to help us help you?

Trailer:

Dry Weight:
GVWR:
Hitch or Pin Weight:

Truck:

Curb Weight:
Max Payload in the truck:
GVWR:
GCWR:
Max Tow Rating:

FWIW, promising never to carry water or stuff in your gray and black tanks isn't really the way to figure these things. If a tank of water (8#/gallon) puts you that close to or over your TV's capacity, you need to rethink the whole thing. Sooner or later we all run into a circumstance where we have to travel with some or all of the tanks full.

The right way to figure these things is to assume EVERYTHING is full to capacity. Battery on the A-frame, full propane tanks, full holding tanks, all your camping gear, food, whatever. It all needs to be added up.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
tlw3989

Hey Fred, I have the same setup using an '04 2500HD duramax. We've had the new 345TG for a few weeks now and been out on 3 local trips and everything is great! We LOVE this new floorplan, only issue so far is the holding tank drain valve labels were mis-marked so when I thought I was draining the black tank, it actually was the grey (shower) tank. If that is the only issue we wind up having....no problem a label maker hasn't already solved.
tlw3989 is offline   Reply With Quote