Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
forest376

Buying a new vehicle (Inside Information)

I have a friend who is a retired car salesman. Several months ago, I ask him what was the secret to getting a great deal. Car dealerships make the most amount of money from selling vehicle options that people don't need. Manufacturers load up options in vehicle that have the most popular colors (Silver). My DW has a Silver 2010 Acadia with the TV thing in the rear overhead area - we have never watched it! Have you ever noticed, the nicer looking cars are the most expensive ones? It is by design. However, if you can be satisified with either Black or White color vehicle, you can really get a great deal. Never tell a salesman how much you can afford or what kind of monthly payments you can handle. If the deal is right, the monthly payments won't matter! Giving out inside information can be used against you. Members of federal credit unions and USAA insurance holders get great discounts (I know this personally). Having a great credit score can give you leverage - banks will fight over your business resulting in a lower interest. Always purchase a vehicle when the manufacturer is offering 0% or cash back - never believe the commericals that suggest you are going to get $10,000 off (that won't happen). Check out websites and you can determine how much a dealership has paid for a new vehicle, dealerships actually pay several thousands below the MSRP. You don't always get Kellyblue value for your trade in, the dealership have their own bluebook values. Avoid extended warranties - dealerships make money on something you don't need. Dealerships will make a better deal on a vehicle they have on their lot. Don't think you are going to outdeal a salesman! He is a trained professional, who makes deals everyday (how often do you trade or purchase a new vehicle). The best deal, is the one you are satisified with!! On a personal note - You wouldn't believe the deal I was offered on a black 2011 Chevy 2500hd, 6.6L, 4WD, diesel. It was a truck they were trying to get off their lot. I was offered $7,000 off their "no hassle price tag" and $2,000 above my trade in value. Too bad, DW did not like black!
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

hehe Some fairly good advice often heard in bits and pieces, put together in "condensed form" (Do you like souup???)

As for the truck offer you turned down, if it was "really that good" Earl Schibe will repaint it any color your DW likes for $299 and guarantee the pain as long as you own the vehicle

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote