Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
ricks

Lend a hand (grab bar handle)

We just purchased a 2006 Outback 25 ft trailer. It seems very nice. Camping World has a folding door handle that is larger than the factory original. The mounting screws are fairly large and long. Has anyone had experience installing these handles on an Outback trailer? My concerns are if there is frame or backing next to the door. I would install it the same distance from the door jam as the original handle. It would not be fun to drill into the trailer and not find any backing at this location. I would prefer not to use through bolts or anchors.

Thanks
Rick in Lincoln CA
ricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
wgb1

I asked about the handle at Southern RV. They said to install the top of the Lend-a-Hand at the same spot as the top of the small plastic handle. That would put the bottom of the new grab handle near the bottom of the trailer where there should be something to screw into...........keyword being "should". They didn't instill 100% confidence in me there is something to screw into. I am going to install one but have not yet.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

I have seen and was going to do exactly what Walter said. Basically re-installing the old handle, the old bottom holes are now the new top holes. That way it covers all holes and at least gets you a solid starting point for both handles. One of mods on the list.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Valover

We installed the large assist/folding handle using 1 or 2 washers so that the screws would not punch through the inside wall. Before doing that, we tried shorter screws, but they did not make the handle feel solid. The handle is ideal and located in the right spot on the door. (IMHO, after being ripped off by Southern RV, Richmond, VA, for some basic maintenance, i.e., winterizing, de-winterizing, inspection, etc., I would not believe anything they tell you.)
Valover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
BadmanRick

Have Dealer install it.

I had the dealer install my Grab Rail. They know exactly where to install it and what length screws to use. They left the old grab handle in place so i can use both if necessary. If they make a mistake they fix it, and should be warrantied.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
The Sod Father

In the event you do not have something solid to "bite" into, you can also use heavy duty wall anchors. The large grab handle on my last trailer came loose a few times and I discovered that some knucklehead at the Rockwood factory over torqued the screws, thus stripping the threads in the frame. Rather than use a larger screw, I used a few HD wall anchors. Problem solved. Less than a 1 beer job.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
wgb1

Just thought I would add a little insight to this thread since I just completed the installation of a "Lend-a-Hand" handle on my Bullet 246RBS. I was certainly nervous about adding it myself since I had read different concerns about the screws engaging something solid. My trailer had only the small plastic handle for a grab handle.

I positioned the bottom portion of the top bracket of the new L-a-H handle about 1/4 inch above the old plastic handle(so as to leave the small handle in place for use as well), marked the hole locations with a pencil and began drilling using a 1/8" drill bit. The 2 top holes were drilled into metal. The top hole of the bottom bracket was drilled into metal, but the bottom hole drilled only into the fiberglass and luan. The supplied screws (which I thought were WAY too long and would penetrate the interior wall so I went to Lowes and purchased new and shorter SS screws) were NOT too long after all. I swore to my wife that half the length of the supplied screws would stick out inside the trailer, but they did not penetrate the interior at all. I had a tough time getting them started into the underlying metal framing, but a little elbow grease helped to get them in. I also put a strip of putty (supplied to me for free by the RV dealer) over the back of the plastic bracket around the screw holes. I tightened all the screws as tight as I could get them. They never even attempted to strip the holes. The advantage of drilling a smaller pilot hole I suppose. Even the screw that did not penetrate any metal tightened up very nicely and I have NO concerns about its sturdiness. I suppose if I had moved the whole handle assembly up about 1/2" - 1", both bottom screw holes would have engaged the underlying metal framing.

Needless to say, the installation was very, very easy and went much smoother than I anticipated. An easy job for any do-it-youselfer. It just scared the heck out of me to drill that first hole in my nice pretty fiberglass shell more so when I was uncertain what framing, if any, I would find when I drilled through the fiberglass. The handle felt extremely solid and I am pleased with the result. I guess my point is to not be afraid to try this yourself as I intitially was. Very easy mod.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote