Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Kelvininin

Water heater slowly dies on gas.

Second time using the RV. Fired the water heater on propane, it ran for about 10-15 mins then the flame slowly tapered off like we were running out of propane. The heater would attempt to refire but only produce a small lazy flame. After the unit sat for a while it would refire fine. Connections are clean, the orifice on the valve assembly is clean, tanks are full, all other appliances fire fine at the same time. The controller is behaving as I would expect it would.

The Trailer is a 2006 Outback 28KRS, the water heater is an Atwood GC6AA-10E

Any ideas? I have never seen solenoid valves fail like this.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
jsmith948

Could be your gas supply. Does your stove and furnace operate ok? If the tanks were not turned on slowly, the flow limiting safety devices may be keeping the heater from getting enough gas. Just something you might check in order to rule it out. We had to replace both propane pigtails (about $30). You might try a forum search about WHs. Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Kelvininin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Could be your gas supply. Does your stove and furnace operate ok? If the tanks were not turned on slowly, the flow limiting safety devices may be keeping the heater from getting enough gas. Just something you might check in order to rule it out. We had to replace both propane pigtails (about $30). You might try a forum search about WHs. Good luck

I have run all other gas appliances on gas at the same time without an issue.

I have searched multiple forums for water heater issues similar to mine without any luck, hence this post.

I was hoping to avoid the trial and error process of swapping parts but at this point I believe its unavoidable.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Old 05-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
jsmith948

There was a recent thread in which the problem with the water heater was attributed to a loose connection on the control board located behind the interior access panel.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Kelvininin

Quote:
There was a recent thread in which the problem with the water heater was attributed to a loose connection on the control board located behind the interior access panel.
Already checked, and cleaned all electrical connections. That was the first thing I did.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
jsmith948

Well, you stated that the W/H fires up on propane and then slowly dies as if you were running out of propane. You also stated that all of your other appliances work ok. Since the W/H will fire again after sitting for awhile, it still seems like a gas volume/flow issue to me. Either a regulator issue, safety valve issue or perhaps some sort of debris is restricting the flow of gas. I'm assuming you have already checked for spider webs or bugs in the gas orifice. I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone will jump in with your answer

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Kelvininin

Quote:
Well, you stated that the W/H fires up on propane and then slowly dies as if you were running out of propane. You also stated that all of your other appliances work ok. Since the W/H will fire again after sitting for awhile, it still seems like a gas volume/flow issue to me. Either a regulator issue, safety valve issue or perhaps some sort of debris is restricting the flow of gas. I'm assuming you have already checked for spider webs or bugs in the gas orifice. I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone will jump in with your answer
I can fire all other appliances at the same time while this issue is occurring.

I have already partially disassembled the valve assembly, the orifice is clean, the burner is clean. The furnace is fired off of the same T as the water heater, furnace is fine. My current assumption is there is something going on in the tubing going from the T to the water heater. I am going to replace it tomorrow, and run it a route where it can't hang up on anything. We are dry camping next weekend, hopefully I will get this figure out by then. If the line proves clean, I may replace the regulator anyway, just to eliminate it as a potential issue.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
ksbowman

You could also have mud dauber nest/nests in the combustion tube. After the initial ignition the oxygen is used up causing the flame to reduce and eventually run out of oxygen.
ksbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Kelvininin

The water heater is fixed and you'll never guess what was causing the trouble.

during my troubleshooting process I replaced the copper tuning gas supply line since the existing line had a small kink. That didn't fix the problem. The heater was getting gas, plenty of it, the burner and tube assembly where clean. So logic dictated that there was something not right with the gas valve assembly.

So I did what any mechanically inclined cheap butthead would do... I serviced the non-serviceable valve. The valve is in great shape, diaphragm is perfect, seats are clean and no indication of wear, springs are good.... When inspecting the vent cap for the regulator, I found it was not properly machined leaving no flow path to equalize the atmospheric side of the regulator. Simple fix with a drill bit.

I now have a fully functioning water heater.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
jtyphoid

I'll be darned. Good job figuring it out.

P.S. It's nice to know that someone else services non-serviceable assemblies.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Heck I do it all the time, but I usually end up with a few "extra parts" and the darn thing never works again

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
Kelvininin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
I'll be darned. Good job figuring it out.

P.S. It's nice to know that someone else services non-serviceable assemblies.

Its good to know that I am not alone. Not sure why they classify the valve as non-serviceable. Stuff like this is very serviceable.

I must have rebuilt hundreds of regulators in my last job.
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
Its good to know that I am not alone. Not sure why they classify the valve as non-serviceable. Stuff like this is very serviceable.

I must have rebuilt hundreds of regulators in my last job.
They sell more replacement valves, since they are not "serviceable"

Nice job on figuring it out, I bet it helps others down the road.

-Brian