Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
lifecamper

Need some info on solar

I have 4 6v batteries in series parallel. I have a 2000 W inverter wired so I can plug it right into my power cord and it runs the whole 5th wheel. I was told by folks on here to disconnect my converter/charger so as not to create a loop and too much heat. So I flip the breaker marked Gen turn fridg to gas and turn on the inverter works great(got me through a 3 day power outage in Texas. Not enough to run the microwave or coffeemaker without depleting the batteries rapidly. So now adding 200W solar charger with controllerto keep the batteries topped off. Here is the question, when plugged into power cord(shore power) do I need to disconnect the converter/charger (gen breaker)?Don't want to damage the solar panels. When driving down the road the truck charges the batteries as well. Will the solar create problems charging the batteries at the same time the truck is charging? Just need to know what to run and what to disconnect.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecamper View Post
I have 4 6v batteries in series parallel. I have a 2000 W inverter wired so I can plug it right into my power cord and it runs the whole 5th wheel. I was told by folks on here to disconnect my converter/charger so as not to create a loop and too much heat. So I flip the breaker marked Gen turn fridg to gas and turn on the inverter works great(got me through a 3 day power outage in Texas. Not enough to run the microwave or coffeemaker without depleting the batteries rapidly. So now adding 200W solar charger with controllerto keep the batteries topped off. Here is the question, when plugged into power cord(shore power) do I need to disconnect the converter/charger (gen breaker)?Don't want to damage the solar panels. When driving down the road the truck charges the batteries as well. Will the solar create problems charging the batteries at the same time the truck is charging? Just need to know what to run and what to disconnect.
No, keep the breaker for the converter on so it will charge the batteries and give you 12 volts. There is no back feed to the solar panels.....

Don't worry about the solar panels and charge controller staying connected they will work just fine with the converter running and when driving down the road with the truck charging. The solar charger is designed to work under all situations.

I'm curious why is your converter/charger is labelled Gen?

Do a sanity check on that breaker as well, make sure there is nothing else tied to that breaker on my Cougar I had a string of AC outlets on it, go figure....I had to add another breaker on the panel to run them.

200 watts seem a bit lean for your setup unless its just for topping off the batteries when camper is idle.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
lifecamper

Thanks for your reply. I too had another circuit wired to the breaker marked GEN but did the same as you. Must be a Keystone thing. So now the GEN breaker just runs the converter/charger. I was told not to run the converter and the inverter together as it would create a loop and excess heat. So when I run off my inverter I disconnect that breaker. I have the inverter wired so I can plug it into the shore power cord and supply the whole trailer with power(120V). I have added a direct line to the kitchen area so my Westinghouse 2000W generator can run the coffee maker and microwave while inverter runs the rest. Yes 200W is a little weak but should top off batteries on a sunny day and I can add another 100W panel when my budget will allow.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Sounds like you have everything under control...

Solar is addicting, I started with 300 jumped to 400 now I have two 150' s on order. I don't know how I sneaked that past my wife...she'll know after the install though, what's that on the roof?

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
lifecamper

I don't have a wife to answer to wish I did. I am already figuring where to put more panels. Roof on my Springdale 279 is limited. Thinking I will do away with crank up antena and go with one of the new little HD antennas. That should give me room for at least one more 100W.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #6
rjsurfer

Take a look at the Renogy 100 watt moncrystalline panels there only 24 inches wide compared to the usual 36-39" of other panels.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
lifecamper

Started with Windy Nation poly panels so will have to stay with them. Hope I didn't make a mistake. 100W panels are 27 X 40. As always price was a concern and the complete starter kit was $299 delivered to me here in Texas. They are supposed to arrive today. They have taken 10 stops to get here so I hope they are not damaged. As I have read and learned a little I suppose I will up-grade to a MPPT controller at some date.The more I read the more I think I may have really screwed up.