Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
BKDFlorida

What is it about men?

I'm sure there are many of us who have heard that from our significant others on more than one occasion.

I heard it today and thought I'd share the story and hopefully provide a chuckle for the old timers and a bit of knowledge for the newbies.

We are newbies to camping in a camper as of this year. We've camped for years with tents but the whole camper deal is fairly new.

We finally bought a cover for our camper a few weeks ago as the season is starting to wind down a bit for a couple of months.

Last weekend I noticed that there was something on the camper that was pushing through the cover as we had experienced some high winds over the weekend. Our wonderful extended rain gutters were starting to push through. Saddling up to try and resolve the issue, I rolled back the cover and created my own custom protectors for the gutters. I cut some pieces off of a swimming noodle and slid them over the ends. I then began searching the bag for the cover to see if there was patch material for the cover.

As I dug through the bag, I came across a little plastic bag with these little slip covers. Hmmmm, labeled gutter covers. I guess I won't show these to the DW. I read through the instructions and sure enough, "install rain gutter covers to protect the cover". Darn. I continue digging and find the patch material I need to repair the cover.

As I dug, I also came across this other baggie that contained what appeared to be extra straps. Upon further investigation, I found they were (for lack of a better name) "tossers". Little weighted straps for tossing under the camper. So, you mean I don't have to task the kid with crawling under the camper to pull them through? Sigh...

Well, I finished with the repairs and put all back as it should be and announced my triumph to the DW. Of course, being of no capacity to keep things from her, I explained all that I discovered.

And then the statement, "What is it about men, that they can't read the directions first?"

Lesson learned.... well, for today!
BKDFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My DW always locates the instructions and puts them on the top of the box as we're opening it. I always take the packet she so "graciously laid on top" and slide it under the box so it's "handy" when I'm done and cleaning up the mess. Over the years, she's said the same thing "thousands of times" and I've still not "learned what she means"...... How'd the pool noodles work?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
BKDFlorida

Pool noodles worked great. They're pliable enough that the cover just slides over them. I can store them in the bag with the cover when we're out camping.
BKDFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Desert185

In our family, I read, she doesn't. What is it about women?

I poured over everything I could find about our 5er before we bought it, including this very informative forum. The wifey thought I was possessed or obsessed, or some kind of sessed. She enjoyed the first trip, though. Mission accomplished.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
GmaPaTime

I too was accused of being obsessed with information when buying our 5er. DW thought I was going overboard with reading everything I could about the units we were looking at. She coudln't understand why you just don't pick out the one you like the looks of go buy it.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

My DW will chuckle and ask "couldn't figure it out without the directions?"

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Shadowcats

I find it helps if there are pictures! So much trouble to get the reading glasses, besides half the time the instructions don't make much sense??? Usually wife stands right there with the instructions telling me what to do - - "Yes Dear." Thanks for the smile and lesson learned.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Didn't see this until today. Thanks for the chuckle. Mirrors my experiences
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
murphysranch

DH was struggling and struggling with putting on new wipers for my Mother's car. As he was getting more and more frustrated, I read the directions. 30 seconds later, one was done and the next one took 30 more seconds...
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Desert185

Murphysranch:

for your service!

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote