Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
mountainlvr

Unhappy Fuzion grey tank concerns

I purchased a 2010 Fuzion 402 and I'm trying to figure out the galley grey tank. It appears that the tank is piped into the kitchen sink, lower restroom sink and toilet and also the washing machine drain. 90+ percent of my camping is dry and most places I go will allow the grey water to be drained on the ground. Because this is all piped together I have to haul sewer to a dump facility. Has anyone attempted to modify their plumbing and tie the grey drain into the "main" grey system?

Pulling the rig with a 2015 chevy 3500 dually.
mountainlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

All of your drains - gray and black - should not be all plumbed together - except where they all meet at the main outlet. Your toilet should empty into a separate black tank which in turn empties into the main sewer line. There should be a separate drain tank pull for the black tank so that you can empty just the contents of the black tank and there should be separate pulls for the gray tanks allowing you to drain the contents of just the gray tanks. No other tanks should drain into the black tank and vice versa.

We have 3 separate tanks on our unit but your gray tanks may be configured in a different way. There are two gray tanks - one for the galley and the other for the bedroom sink and shower. Each tank has its own pull. The black tank completes the trio and it too has its separate tank with a separate pull.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
GaryWT

Interesting that you can drain grey water on the ground and weird that a toilet would not go to a black tank as the piping on a black tank is larger than a grey tank. Good luck relocating it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Do a simple test. All the tanks should be empty. Put 5 gals water down galley sink open black dump see if it comes out. Do that with each place water goes down a drain and you will see where each is held. I would think you have 2 gray and 1 black holding tanks like most trailers and as said black should only be the toilet but, who knows.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
mountainlvr

Angry

Dumped 5 gallons of water down kitchen sink and 1/2 bath sink as instructed. No water drained from the "main" grey tank all water went to the same tank that the 1/2 bath toilet is tied to. Thank you keystone for another wonderful engineering design!!!! That type of configuration should be on a recall due to the possibility of gas getting into the unit.
mountainlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Jager

Are you positive that the poop in the toilet and the water from a sink go into the exact same tank? The outlet of my grey and black tank share a common 4" main line for about 3' but that is it. you should have separate tank valve releases for the black and grey tanks. There is NO WAY they should have plumbed your camper such that toilet (black) water goes into the same tank as your sink (grey) water.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
2014Fuzion300

Our bathroom sink drains into the black water tank.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
maverick_415

My 2015 Keystone Laredo 299BH does the exact same thing. There are three 34 gallon holding tanks. My shower and kitchen sink each have 34 gallon grey tanks. The toilet and bathroom sink share the black tank. Is this by design or error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Fuzion300 View Post
Our bathroom sink drains into the black water tank.
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
2014Fuzion300

To me it is an error, according to them it is by design...[emoji35]
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
maverick_415

After searching around it seems this is common when there are more than two holding tanks. Since the the grey tanks fill much quicker than the black tank, having the bathroom sink drain to the black tank will help distribute the waste water more evenly between the three holding tanks. It will also help break down the solid waste with the the water from brushing teeth and washing hands. I think I would still prefer to have the black water tank dedicated to the toilet and not include the bathroom sink. After reading this forum others have said that Keystone does not consider this a warranty issue. Any other thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Quote:
To me it is an error, according to them it is by design...[emoji35]
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
2014Fuzion300

I only have two holding tanks and for me this is a huge disadvantage (not if you have full hookups).... Grey water tanks are easier to "dump". When I am dry camping or at a CG without sewage connection the black water tank is the one I want it to last the longest !!!
The water used by 2 adults and 2 kids from just washing their hands and brushing their teeth helps to fill up the BWT quicker than it should....
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
maverick_415

I agree with you. If you only have two holding tanks then the toilet should be the only thing connected to the black tank.

We only dry camp for three or four days max and should be ok on filing the black tank too quickly, even with the bathroom sink water draining to it. Now that I know the bathroom sink drains to the black tank we will use less water flushing the toilet.

I called Keystone yesterday and according to the build diagram they mfg all Laredo 299BH models this way. They said if I want to route the bathroom sink to a grey water tank it would not be covered under warranty and I would have to pay for it myself. Has anybody had this done and what was the cost?

Quote:
I only have two holding tanks and for me this is a huge disadvantage (not if you have full hookups).... Grey water tanks are easier to "dump". When I am dry camping or at a CG without sewage connection the black water tank is the one I want it to last the longest !!!
The water used by 2 adults and 2 kids from just washing their hands and brushing their teeth helps to fill up the BWT quicker than it should....