Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
cobalert

TV reception and picture quality

2014 Keystone Fuzion Chrome 404. Picture on all TV’s is terrible even when connected to the external cable. I know where the cable/antenna button is in the bedroom and have tried both positions. Could it be a stray wire on the shielding touching the insulator in the trailer cable somewhere causing bad picture quality? I have changed my external to eliminate that question.
cobalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the booster light works, that basically rules out any whiskers. Could be the signal wire (center) isn't long enough to make proper connection. Another possibility is the coax isn't screwed in all the way on the back of the booster.

Two squarehead screws will hold the booster, and there will be 3 connections. One will be ant in, one will be cable in, and the other will be TV 2. It's possible that the cables are connected wrong, you might have to spend some time identifying each.

I have often seen the factory cut the signal wires short, put the ends on and forget to crimp causing the coax to back out, and coax's attached to the wrong port. Hope this gives you a starting point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
Ram189

I was/am fighting this also.

All my TVs had fuzz/static on them. They found a cable somewhere that had the shield touching the cable on a cable for the main feed and that fixed 3 of the 4 connections. The TV in the living room still has it coming and going a bit so it got dropped off last night for the laundry list of minor warranty items to fix before winter storage this being one. I am sure they will find the same thing on that TV just with the ground shield touching in a connection somewhere.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
GaryWT

So have you run from the back of the tv directly to cable bypassing everything in the trailer, does the picture come in good? Have you only been hooked up in one places or are there issues where ever you hook up. I know some campgrounds have terrible cable. One trailer we had to bring to the dealer so they could fix some connections behind the walls.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
{tpc}

Fuzzy but a picture sounds more like loose connections or a shorter than ideal middle conductor. No picture sounds like the shield touching the middle conductor, though I suppose if just one little wire, it might just create a fuzzy picture. I would start by bring a cable line right through the door direct to the tv and rule that out first. From there, any connection that is accessible I would verify how well the connectors are put on the cable and that they are tight. A lot of times just a loose connector can cause issues, and being on a trailer that is moving around while being towed, they could be come looser over time.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
matandjen

I have the exact same problem on all my TVs. They are sending me a new booster and I am stripping and replacing every end of each of the cables.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
cobalert

TV reception

I'm still looking for the booster
Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalert View Post
I'm still looking for the booster
The booster is the panel that has the light and button. In your case its in the bedroom.

Light on, booster is on. Light off, booster is off. If you take that panel off, you'll see the circuit board, cable connections and the 12V connections, mounted to the back side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
cobalert

TV reception

Outstanding, thank you. I was playing with it this weekend and think I have it figured out. I'm still going to pull the panel out and check connections. For LED TV's I would expect a better picture. Thank again.