Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Blidy23

Unhappy U-shape dinette broken

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has had this happen. We have a 2013 keystone passport 2300BH it is wonderful but we had the dinette down into a bed and we my daughter and i were laying down i shifted my weight and the table collapsed. and broke the edge sealing. Is there a weight capacity for these? Does anyone know if they the company will replace the table for me. We are not that heavy. She barely weighs 100 lbs and I'm average sized.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Englishman

I would call your dealer if its still under warranty if not the give keystone a call. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk HD
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Blidy23

Smile

THanks it is worth a try
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Bob Landry

The support strip that broke was probably fastened with short wood screws. If you are going to use the dinette like that, I would recommend drilling and fastening the wood strips on with machine screws, flat washers and lock nuts. You are going to fine a lot of things that are going to need to be "beefed up"..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
chartrand

Mine broke as well, but the table cracked. Keystone replaced the table. I picked up a pieces of oak placed two hinges between them and no longer use the table when making into a bed. Had no trouble witness the side supports around the edge....yet...

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
{tpc}

Wasn't sure if I should bump an old thread or not, but it pertains to this as well. We too had issue with our table. The table did not break, nor did the "strips" of wood it sits into come loose, but it did fall through. I think it happened twice we we attempted to get off the bed.

What appears to be the issue is the dining table isn't big enough to fit in there perfectly. Its close, but with the rounded edges on the table if it moves slightly to one side or the other, depending on where the weight is applied, it will slip through. It's left a few marks on the wood, but not enough I can't touch it up with something.

Should I even bother contacting keystone about it? I had a couple of thoughts for a fix, one being a thin piece of luan that fits perfectly into that space and then placing the table on top, though it may not be flat enough with the extra thickness, and the other was to make some thicker "strips" and replace the stapled on ones with these.

I guess I shouldn't have to do anything, but I can see dropping off the TT to the dealer and it sitting there forever and us not being able to use it as a result.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Bob Landry

I would simply cut some wider strips, find a stain that's close to the color and put them on through-bolting them. I wouldn't even think about letting something that was stapled support a person. The only reason KS or anyone else does it is because it's cheap and fast and it gets the trailer out the door with minimal labor. I have an air finish nailer that I use, but it's only to put trim back in place after I've done a repair or a mod, never to fasten anything that serves as a support.
Fix it yourself, a dealer is going to try to get it out as quick as possible and you'll end up with the sam problems.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Bombfixer

There is a 250 lbs weight limit on the bed. That is a problem that I have faced many times. Very hard to get two adults on these full and queen sized beds.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
gary3040

Thumbs down Broken dinette table top

Same concern, supporting wood came out, I guess staples just aren't good enough Anyway it chipped the corner off of the table. Notified dealer 05/29
sent pics on 06/04 ordered on 06/09 was told WILL BE HERE this week on 07/07. now its 08/12 so I called keystone answer from them = had to order the material LOL. Someone is lying. I guess if that's it no material then no passports have been built since May of this year,,,,,U know they didn't have the material. BAD Customer Satisifaction just amazing
gary3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3040 View Post
Same concern, supporting wood came out, I guess staples just aren't good enough Anyway it chipped the corner off of the table. Notified dealer 05/29
sent pics on 06/04 ordered on 06/09 was told WILL BE HERE this week on 07/07. now its 08/12 so I called keystone answer from them = had to order the material LOL. Someone is lying. I guess if that's it no material then no passports have been built since May of this year,,,,,U know they didn't have the material. BAD Customer Satisifaction just amazing
Keystone may not be lying as you suggest. Suppose they projected to build 100 trailers using that table and they ordered 10% spares, if they got orders for 105 trailers and had 3 damaged (from the contractor) and 2 committed to other customers, then they don't have any "on hand" and would have to order the material.

Just as your dealer isn't going to take a table out of a "for sale unit" on his lot, Keystone won't hold production of a unit to "pull the table and send to you". They already have your money, they're not going to stop production (making more money) by giving you a part of a 'for sale unit" either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
{tpc}

What I ended up doing was cutting some strips to add thickness and then staining them to a matching color. I then used gorilla glue and some decking screws and ran it right in there. Had to counter sink the screws a bit so they would sit flush and not crack the additional wood. Touched everything up with some black paint (ya I know, but it matches the darker parts of the texturing), and unless you look you wouldn't know I did anything.

Funny thing is, other than testing the repair which seemed to work fine, we haven't found a need to make it into a bed, lol.

Whats almost as irritating as the table not fitting into the spot (for the sake of other posters, if you repair it using the same size wood and table, it will happen again), is that when you pull the top off the legs, typically one or both come completely loose, fall down and gouge the heck out of the dinette box.

Thankfully, it hasn't hit the cabinets, which would irritate me even more.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
GaryWT

We had the table replaced as well in our Premier. Never used it as a bed but by being set up for a season I'd was warped. Sent pictures in Dec and had it fixed in April at their cost.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote