Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Rich204RBS

Water leak

I have a Bullet 204RBS. I was staying in the camper into December as I am building a new home. When it turned too cold I winterized with RV antifreeze but had trouble with the one hot water feed. I was able to get it thawed and antifreeze run through the following week. When I put water in and ran the pump this past week the pump kept cycling and I had water dripping from the underside of the camper. Obviously The freeze last year damaged a water pipe. My camper has a thermal package so the underside has an insulated cover. Does anyone know how to gain access? It's looking like I may have to cut my way in unless I'm missing something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich204RBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Rich -
Access to the "underbelly" can be gained by removing or cutting out sections of the black plastic coroplast covering. It is attached with screws which can be removed and the coroplast pulled down and lowered so you can peek in. It may be necessary to loosen and remove quite a few screws leaving you with a better view and access to the underbelly. If you run the pump for a short time so that water flows, you might be able to see where the dripping is coming from and assess what kind of repairs you are looking at.

It would be better if you were to remove the screws holding the coroplast rather than cutting sections out from it. The result of cutting out a section would be that you would have to tape it back up again. If you do any cutting, cut on 3 sides only creating a flap and do not cut on the front side. Use Gorilla tape to seal it back up.

The coroplast is not insulated but you will probably find some kind of insulation in the underbelly. The insulation may be sparse, non-existent in some places or just lying about helter skelter.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich204RBS View Post
I have a Bullet 204RBS. I was staying in the camper into December as I am building a new home. When it turned too cold I winterized with RV antifreeze but had trouble with the one hot water feed. I was able to get it thawed and antifreeze run through the following week. When I put water in and ran the pump this past week the pump kept cycling and I had water dripping from the underside of the camper. Obviously The freeze last year damaged a water pipe. My camper has a thermal package so the underside has an insulated cover. Does anyone know how to gain access? It's looking like I may have to cut my way in unless I'm missing something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Hi there down the Ohio from you, BC. Think you are correct you have a ruptured water line, pump cycling to try to pressurize system. Not by any means expert on taking down that cover. Since you are not sure exactly where leak is taking whole thing down would make more sense. Than guessing and cutting holes looking for it. From what I understand there are screws into the frame around the perimeter. There are posts out there that tell you how to cut into it if needed and reseal it.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Rich204RBS

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!
Rich204RBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
BulletOwner1

Hi fellow Bullet owner....

I would assume that you have the "Thermal Package" on your TT as you made mention of insulation. Don't get your hopes up in that regard. The coroplast is the only thing covering the underbelly. Been there, done that. The nice folks at Keystone responded to a question I had regarding the makeup of the Thermal Package and this is what it consists of; covered underbelly (coroplast), larger heater, and heated underbelly, accomplished by routing a 2" duct from the heater to the underbelly area close to the tanks. That's it. Little more than window dressing if you get into really cold temps.

Now, a word of caution when removing the coroplast by unscrewing the perimeter (which I did). On my Bullet one end of the fresh water tank rests on the frame. The same frame that the coroplast is screwed to. In the area of where the tank is the coroplast screws are shorter than the rest. Make sure you remember where those particular screws go when re-installing the underbelly. If you don't you will be dealing with another leak ! Trust me, I know this .

Good luck finding your leak. I would advise that you double check everything that you can access from up above before going underneath. Would hate for you to go to all that work of removing the underbelly only to find your leak was above somewhere. Don't assume that because the water is coming out underneath that the leak is under there also. Open all the access panels, remove the shower faucet, etc. On my TT there aren't too many connection points in the underbelly. Most can be accessed from above.

Let us know what you find.