Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Mopar madman

Gas springs

I was wondering if the gas springs for the underbed storage area are supposed to hold the mattress up or just assist in lifting it? Thanks.

Jeff & Theresa Barsotti

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab Laramie SLT
2011 Keystone Laredo 265 RL
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Ours hold it up. In fact, it's sort of hard to get it started pulling it down. Mattress weight plays a big part in that, so if you've bought an aftermarket mattress, you may have too much weight for the gas struts to hold the mattress.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
geo

On ours, it basically helps in lifting. I have a board cut to length under the bed to put in place to help hold it up once opened.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

We don't have under-bed storage

When we first got the RV, I thought "Man, these struts suck!!!" because it didn't lift very easily.... Well it wasn't supposed to lift at all.. The slide running gear takes up about 75% of the space.

Only about 2 of the 4 screws in the decking were actually lined up and attached to the bed-frame (yay keystone!!), so it came right up with a cracking noise.

I properly aligned it, drilled pilot holes (take not RV manufacturers!), and screwed the decking back in place with 6 wood screws.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
f6bits

I added a single strut to mine, right in the middle. It’ll hold the mattress up, but it took some adjusting to get it so that end of the bed would *stay* down.

In other words, it’s possible you can move the mounting point of your struts to get it to behave how you’d like.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Roberson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
We don't have under-bed storage

When we first got the RV, I thought "Man, these struts suck!!!" because it didn't lift very easily.... Well it wasn't supposed to lift at all.. The slide running gear takes up about 75% of the space.

Only about 2 of the 4 screws in the decking were actually lined up and attached to the bed-frame (yay keystone!!), so it came right up with a cracking noise.

I properly aligned it, drilled pilot holes (take not RV manufacturers!), and screwed the decking back in place with 6 wood screws.

Ours didn't have under-bed storage either. And, it appears maybe the same person put in the screws. They only missed 1 though.

I took the 4 screws out of ours, installed hinges, and made 'boxes' that fit beside the slide running gear. The wife had to have some place to hid 'new toys/games/books in case it rains all day one day'.

I did not buy/install gas springs. Just use a piece of water pipe cut to hold up the plywood/bed.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
lasmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I added a single strut to mine, right in the middle. It’ll hold the mattress up, but it took some adjusting to get it so that end of the bed would *stay* down.

In other words, it’s possible you can move the mounting point of your struts to get it to behave how you’d like.
I know it has been a while since this post... New to the forum and just bought a keystone passport 2650bh. It has a 1/2lift queen bed and I wanted to know how best to decide on the pressure strength for struts.
lasmc is offline   Reply With Quote