Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Question Black Tank Drain Leaking

When we go camping for a couple of days, and use the toilet whenever I removed the drain cover, I always get about a quart of "blackwater" that runs out onto the ground.

The handle on the valve is in, but it still leaks.

I suspect there may be some paper wedge into the valve where it is NOT allowing it to close all the way.

Is there a way to clean out the valve without having to take it all apart?

I have filled the tank several times with clean water and just let it flush out, but that has not fixed the problem.
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Just4us

Hello LeeMedic,

I had a similar problem with my new Alpine, while not quite as much leaking as you indicate. My unit was under warranty and the valve was replaced by the dealer who found a small piece of construction debris in the valve. After that, the valve was almost impossible to open so the dealer replaced the cable. The replacement cable is from a different manufacturer and works much better. After that we have not had any problems. If your unit is under warranty the repir will be covered as long as it is not due to improper flushing and cleaning.

One thing that I do very carefully after emptying the black water tank is to quickly operate the valve a couple of times. I only do this while using the black tank fresh water flush (my unit is equipped with this very helpful option). My logic is that while the "clean" flush water is flowing if I quickly operate the valve it will help remove any debris that might have remained after emptying the tank. The instructions for the black tank flush indicate the valve must be open to prevent an unpleasent consequence while using. So far I haven't had any issues with this procedure. Again, the key is to quickly close and then reopen, no more that a couple of seconds.

Hope this helps.
Tom
Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
LeeMedic

Well it is outside of the Manufacture's warrantee but we did purchase an extended warrantee. I will have to check. Thanks for the help.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 05-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
rjsurfer

I added a twist on valve at the main drain of my Cougar. It serves a few purposes one is to hold back any leakage when dumping, I always had a few drops of waste sitting there when I opened the main drain. Also keeps you going on a trip is one drain sticks open.

Another benefit of this extra valve is to allow you to equalize the level of your grey tanks (you can do black as well, but not recommneded) so if you find that your kitchen grey tank is half full and bath tank is full you can open both drains and they will equalize giving a few more days of use if your boon-docking.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
LeeMedic

Ron, where did you find this extra drain valve? I am really interested in that!

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I installed the same type of valve as Ron W. In addition to the benefits that he outlined, it also prevents any ugly and smelly spills IF you should forget to close one of the individual tank valves. When I installed mine, I had to cut about 6 inches off the main drain pipe so that, when the new valve was added on, the pipe and new slide valve did not stick out beyond the side wall of the RV. The twist on slide valve is made by Valterra (Part No T58) and can be purchased at CW, online, or most any RV parts retailer. Costs about $25.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
Ron, where did you find this extra drain valve? I am really interested in that!
Camping World sells them, probably around $20 or so.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
kenn209

Okay didn't want to start a new topic, cause we have the same leak by, Not sure which tank it is, but when I take off the cap, I get air noise like equalizing pressure, Is this normal? I don't remember my other campers doing this? I get about a quart of water when I take the cap off...
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
gaitin

2013 Montana 3582RL

I just had the exact problem you describe. All the liquid drained out and now literally stuck with all the solids blocking the drain. Figured the valve wasn't closing for whatever reason. Added water for the trip home and then got the tank to empty after everything slushed around and broke up.

Interesting, same model and year. Just got around to having the power convertor recall repaired. Took 2 trips to the dealer. First time was told that everything was okay. First time out to camp and plugged in the unit. Circuit breaker in utility post kicked, surge guard breaker kicked out and the power convertor breakers kicked. But still had an arc in the trailer before all the breakers kicked. Just think about this: Didn't Keystone check the unit on 50 amp? Didn't the dealer check the unit on 50 amp before delivering to me the customer and I'm not sure what the service tech did if anything when declaring that my convertor was okay for the recall. Just makes you wonder??

Also had the front closet doors repaired twice. Hangers on the end doors broke and allowed the doors to come out of the track, causing damage to the 2 center doors.

This is my first Keystone product and was hoping for a quality unit. So far, not so good. Had a Forest River unit before. And now this valve issue. I have had my unit back to the dealer more than it has been used.

So now to my original interest in this post. Even though the unit is covered under warranty, it would be easier and less hassle if we can investigate the problem and maybe fix ourselves. Hard to pinpoint just where the black tank and valve is located under the front without taking all the underbelly cover down. Can anyone narrow down the location of the black tank in relation to the utilities compartment? I realize this was a long post with my venting my frustration about the several issues and I thank everyone for their patience. Appreciate any advice given that will help. Thanks again.
gaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
gaitin

Smile Black Tank Valve Leaking - Update

Located the black tank and valve. When the valve was removed, found a small piece of fabric like material jamming the grove. Removed this and now the valve closes properly and no more leaking. Repairs didn't taken too long and saved on the inconvenience of taking back to the dealer to have resolved.

Gave us the opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the underneath side of the unit that is hidden by the underbelly cover.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their information on these posts. A lot of knowledge is shared and gained.
gaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
dmichael

Same issue-quick question

Hi All,

Just looked up this thread cause I have just emptied my black tank and couldn't get the rod to go all they way in. Moved to a different park and did a double check, sure enough- some black water in the drain. I'm certain it's TP jammed at the valve. Question: once located how easy/difficult is the valve to remove for inspection and repair? Is it screwed or bolted on to the black tank?

Thanks,
dmichael
dmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
Hi All,

Just looked up this thread cause I have just emptied my black tank and couldn't get the rod to go all they way in. Moved to a different park and did a double check, sure enough- some black water in the drain. I'm certain it's TP jammed at the valve. Question: once located how easy/difficult is the valve to remove for inspection and repair? Is it screwed or bolted on to the black tank?

Thanks,
dmichael
I have had this same problem twice in the past 6 months (baby wipes) and have removed, cleared and reinstalled the valve twice (enclosed belly). I consider myself a poo expert. If you would like step by step guidance, shoot me a PM.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote