Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #21
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I don't know why I didn't remember this earlier, but.... Pop the front cover off your thermostat, check the 2 amp fuse. That may well be why your A/C isn't working......

MAYBE !!!!!!!!!!!! <shot in the dark>
Oooh, that sounds like something I will break when trying! Non the less, I will give it shot in the morning. Thank you
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

popped teh cover off, and did not see anything that screamed "I am a fuse", but I am not sure what anything in there is.

Oh, found my battery cutoff switch, it had been removed and placed int eh silverware drawer, not sure why yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140130_084216.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4912  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Electrician just left. Power is (and was) properly wired at the plug, and we checked the end of the plug wire, it also has the proper currents coming through. He checked the wiring into the a.c., and said there is no power coming into it, so somewhere there is an interruption. All the breakers and fuses seem fine, it is a stumper.

Thanks to all who tried to help, if I figure out what it is, I will post a follow up.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #24
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Riddle me this Batman???

Ok, so I took what I thought was the main breaker panel off from where it is mounted under the fridge to see if I could find a place to mount a surge protector, and found another breaker box stashed behind it? Not sure what all of those breakers run, but one of them for sure runs the air conditioner, because it is all systems go now.

Is this a normal setup, or did someone do something aftermarket. Seems an awkward place to have a breaker panel. If nothing else, I am worried that the screws on the outer breaker box will strip out their osb holes if I have to access it very often. Maybe I won't, although will I need access to the surge protector on a regular basis? Maybe I can mount some sort of hinge to the outer box, that would allow it to swing open when I needed access to the space behind?

Thanks again to all who tried to help. Who knew there was a secret breaker box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140205_145034.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	4967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140205_145042.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4968  
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

It looks to me as if the previous owner upgraded to 50amp service. I'm surprised that your electrician did not not find that.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #26
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
It looks to me as if the previous owner upgraded to 50amp service. I'm surprised that your electrician did not not find that.
Upgraded? For some reason I assumed this rig came with that standard. That means they had to switch out the plug? so in theory I should have no trouble getting into it to install the power surge.

Oh, and it was hidden pretty well, I am not upset with the electrician, we assumed that it was all wired into the one panel.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

What size is the main breaker in the outer electrical distribution panel? I mean the one that's attached to the wall that you have to take off to see the "other one"...... My guess, like Hank's is that your RV came with a 30 amp system and someone decided to upgrade it, but rather than buy the 50 amp breaker box, they bought a "cheaper" box to wire the second incoming leg and ran a couple of new circuits for the front A/C, etc. It's not an "unsafe" system, just an "unorthodox" one..... At this point, I'm wondering just how expensive it would be to buy a new 50 amp distribution panel, new converter and simply wire the entire thing properly. Shouldn't be much over a couple hundred bucks.... That might be something to put on your "to do" list for a "rainy day improvement"

Oh I'm still very curious about what size the main breaker is in your original distribution panel. I'm betting it's a 30 amp breaker.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #28
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
What size is the main breaker in the outer electrical distribution panel? I mean the one that's attached to the wall that you have to take off to see the "other one"...... My guess, like Hank's is that your RV came with a 30 amp system and someone decided to upgrade it, but rather than buy the 50 amp breaker box, they bought a "cheaper" box to wire the second incoming leg and ran a couple of new circuits for the front A/C, etc. It's not an "unsafe" system, just an "unorthodox" one..... At this point, I'm wondering just how expensive it would be to buy a new 50 amp distribution panel, new converter and simply wire the entire thing properly. Shouldn't be much over a couple hundred bucks.... That might be something to put on your "to do" list for a "rainy day improvement"

Oh I'm still very curious about what size the main breaker is in your original distribution panel. I'm betting it's a 30 amp breaker.....
You sirs are very correct, it is a 30. So that means the 50 is an upgrade? I literally just started a post on how to hinge the outer panel for easy access, but maybe I should just replace the entire thing with a 50 amp service panel? Like you say, it gets me the new converter I was worried about the fan on.

Food for thought.

I cannot express how much I appreciate everyone's help, this has been a "jump in the cold lake" experience for me. So much to learn!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #29
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

oh, if I decide to wire this for a generator, does all teh service need to be moved out to the generator then anyway? I have not even begun to research generators or installs, it seems so far down on the list of priorities, as we are going to be plugged in almost all of the time
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

As for generator use, the simplest thing to do is to get a 3000 watt or two 2000 watt generators and a tether cable and just use your existing power cord to plug in. That way you're not installing genertors, transfer switches and fuel tanks to an existing RV. There's much more than just sticking a generator in a compartment and installing an off/on switch on the wall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #31
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
As for generator use, the simplest thing to do is to get a 3000 watt or two 2000 watt generators and a tether cable and just use your existing power cord to plug in. That way you're not installing genertors, transfer switches and fuel tanks to an existing RV. There's much more than just sticking a generator in a compartment and installing an off/on switch on the wall.
I love simple!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #32
Tarfu

Brought home, my new to me 2002 30' Sprinter, started exploring the rig, the frig, microwave, water heater, water pump, all electrical works, EXCEPT the AC fan....I can hear the pump running but not feeling anything from the fan...checked breakers, fuse panel next to the door everything looks good....any ideas where to start looking?
Tarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #33
Tarfu

Ok...this is a TT that's sat for about 8 years unoccupied...opened the lid on the roof...nearly fell off when the wasps came pouring out...found a big wasp nest jammed in the squirrel cage...pulled the next....Got Air Flowing!!!
Tarfu is offline   Reply With Quote