Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Mountainmax

Furnace blower question

I was wondering is it normal for the ceiling fans to blow cold air (compared to the floor ducts) all the time the furnace is activated even when it cuts out? If so why?? Thanks in advance...
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

No, it isn't normal for your furnace to be blowing out cold air from the the ceiling vents. The furnace only blows air from the floor - not the ceiling. Sounds like your A/C is running at the same time. Check the setting on your thermostat. Depending on the model, you may have it set incorrectly. If you have the switch to "ON", the fan may run all the time. If on "Auto" it will run only when the temps reach a certain point and cut out or come on.
Not sure about your thermostat --- ours is a manual Dometic.
Do you have a heat strip as part of your A/C?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Mountainmax

Thanks, that was the Problem lol. Dam newbie mistake
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
riceman

dust in floor vents

I (DW) was wondering...how do y'all keep dust out of your floor vents so that when you turn on your furnace it doesn't blow all of that up and into your camper.

My parents had an older model MoHo, and their vent was terrible...didn't want to turn on furnace because we could see what was down there and didn't want it blowing out!

We just bought ours recently, so haven't had to deal with it yet...but short of putting tape over the vents, what do you seasoned campers do?
Thanks!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

riceman -
Remove the vent covers and push a vacuum hose in as far as you can. You might be surprised what will end up in your vacuum bag!
(Or you might try blowing it out so long as you can trap the dust and other "stuff" before it ends up all over the inside of your camper.)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

You can get magnetic vent covers at "Home" stores or online that trim to size and simply stick over the vent. But we just remove the cover and vacuum the duct every fall. .... Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in those ducts. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Roller4Tan

The "Shadow" ??? Someones showing their age. ( I guess I am too for knowing it).
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
The "Shadow" ??? Someones showing their age. ( I guess I am too for knowing it).
That was a test ...... and you passed "Pops".
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
2011 keystone

I just did a google search and all I came up with was a old radio show.
If this is what you guys are talking about wow you realy are showing your age
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
riceman

Thanks! I love the idea of covers...may have to check into that!!
Safe travels!!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
mhs4771

You can also replace the registers with ones that can be closed, also gives the added feature of only opening them part way to direct the heat or close off some to put more heat where you happen to be. They're not too expensive and carried at most Hardware Stores and at CW. Have done that mod to all the units we have owned.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
CUFFS054

Man, Damn, I love the Shadow! But I digress. Would it be possible/wise to try to filter the furnace return air?
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #13
EChambers

Thank you to forum

Had furnace issue this morning and was so relieved to find that it had already been addressed. Thanks to all who post helpful advice. I am into week 6 of travel and find that daily need some type of assistance from the forum. Would love to have forum members write the owners' manuals for us!
EChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
bobbecky

http://www.oldradioworld.com/media/T...the%20Deep.mp3

bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Lets see

Return Air filter

I have an opening in the steps and had though about adding a filter there. Thought it would be a closed cold air return like a stick house. After looking in that opening and reading posts on the forum ,which stated furnace return is open ended to the basement, so decided filtering this small opening under the steps only was a joke. Project Over.

Heating registers

Also was concerned about registers without dampers. First thought was exchange with ones with dampers or buy the material with magnetic surface. So cheapest way first, purchased material from local HW store. Noticed material was thin and magnetic strength was minimal. Cut pieces to cover registers. Since register has a minimal surface area and with the weak magnetic material worked but pretty easy to move around while on register. Did not blow away but if kicked with foot moved. If carefull where you were walking it was okay.

Also wanted to use to adjust air flow when furnace on. Did work somewhat, could not block off all air basically would lift cover. Did work blocking of only a potion of throw register. Basically can ot block totally.

Obviously the dampered register will not have issues the the magnetic had. BUT after reading info on the forum about limiting air flow through the furnace by closing off vents, I would think more about the permenant registers. Concern was that closing register would limit air flow through furnace which could trip over temp switch on furnace. Similar to restricting air flow in the AC unit and making a nice snow ball

My experience, be interested in others thoughts/solutions.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #16
ctpd814

I put a register with a damper in the bathroom only. On my unit, the bathroom register is the first one from the furnace. The bathroom would get extremely warm. By restricting the bathroom air flow, it forced a higher volume of warm air to other parts of the unit. I feel that using the damper is not much different than leaving the bathroom doors closed. Leaving the bathroom doors closed will restrict the flow also as there is no cold air return in the bathroom. It just is like H@#* in there when you open the door with the damper partially closed.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
I just did a google search and all I came up with was a old radio show.
If this is what you guys are talking about wow you realy are showing your age
Hell, I remember watching Mighty Mouse in B&W and also buying gas for $.16 in the gas wars.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Bob
Sounds like I have 5 years on you. Yeap 9-10 inch B&W LARGE SCREEN TV Hoody Doody. Lone Ranger, colored TV was taping Color paper on the screen. Red for first 20 min, blue next 20, green last 20 then start over again again

To stay on thread topic coal furnaces were source of heat. TH Garage would be used to haul coal for on board furnace. Now that would require some horse power at least three horses. GOOD OLD DAYS

BRETT
QUESTION: Any problem stepping on that damper wheel? The way the doors are cut on the bottom closing doors will not have to worry building up pressure in any room
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
ctpd814

The register on my unit is a out the way space between the toilet and the shower. It is not in the way of normal foot traffic.

As for the doors, they are not air tight but the way mine are cut, they will restrict air flow. There was enough air flow though the register when not dampened, you could feel the air flow when you opened the door.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote