Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
canesfan

Condensation in Taillight

Couldn't find anything posted about this surprisingly. I have the long, narrow, rectangular led taillights that run along the bottom under the ramp door. One of them is full of condensation, not a little, a lot. I noticed it when I picked the rig up but forgot to tell the dealer about it. It's held on by 2 screws and I tried to take it off to take it apart and let it dry out, but couldn't figure how to get the lens off. There is the black plastic base and then the lens, it seems they should pry/snap apart but I didn't want to break anything so I figured I come ask. I don't know if you can tell from my siggy picture, I'll try to find a better picture.

They're kind of like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-15-Sliml...tchlink:top:en
Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

canesfan,

If they are like mine, they are a sealed unit. I have some "single LED" clearance lights on my boat trailer that are similar. There are two wires out the back, and the black plastic base/red (or yellow) lens is fused to the base. They are, I think, snapped together during assembly, then heat fused together to "prevent moisture intrusion" (according to the literature). Looks like yours may have not been fused as well.... I've never taken one apart, so I don't know if the LED's are encased in some kind of plastic which would make them waterproof even if the lens is full of water or not.

I would want mine to be dry inside simply because of the freezing/thawing. I would think that eventually they would freeze and crack the lens and look bad even if they were still functional.

If it's still under warranty, I'd try to get the light replaced.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
canesfan

Thanks, I figured when I tried to get it apart and it wouldn't there might be more to it. I guess if it's supposed to be fused it isn't, at least not well enough to keep water out. I'll have them replace it when I go back.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Jay Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Couldn't find anything posted about this surprisingly. I have the long, narrow, rectangular led taillights that run along the bottom under the ramp door. One of them is full of condensation, not a little, a lot. I noticed it when I picked the rig up but forgot to tell the dealer about it. It's held on by 2 screws and I tried to take it off to take it apart and let it dry out, but couldn't figure how to get the lens off. There is the black plastic base and then the lens, it seems they should pry/snap apart but I didn't want to break anything so I figured I come ask. I don't know if you can tell from my siggy picture, I'll try to find a better picture.

They're kind of like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-15-Sliml...tchlink:top:en
Call R and P Carriages at http://www.randpcarriages.com/.
See if they have any suggestions.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
bobbecky

I just purchased the amber lights from R and P Carriages, and they are well made, with entire back side of the fixture poured epoxy sealed. Not a bad price either and very prompt delivery.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Bombfixer

I have the same problem with the lights at the rear of my Raptor. As long as they still work, I am going to leave well enough alone. BTW, this spring I am going to add additional Tail/Turn/Brakes vertically at waist level on either side of my rear ramp. I just don't have a warm fuzzy with my only lights being so low.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
canesfan

Bombfixer, I plan on adding lights like that too, there's another thread here where people have done that, I'm just nervous about drilling holes in my trailer and then getting wires from point A to point B blindly.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
cabinfever

I have had this happen with regular lights. Somehow water got in and could not get out. My solution for a working light, drill a very small hole in the bottom of lens to be sure it did not fill up.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
abneynormal

hmm

I was going to say drill a hole or burn one with a soldering iron and let er roll. I had a guy tell me keystone installed his flood/ security lights upside down so the small hole filled the light up and ruined the walls of his rv. and im kinda down on the tiny lights too. my freightliner looks like a "chikin hauler" and the rv is sparse.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
canesfan

Thanks for the ideas. I thought it would be simple to take apart and dry out, but since they don't apparently come apart I'm just going to have it replace under warranty.