Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #21
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
..........Should I consider any upgrades that would improve it over what I have now?........
Your choice.......appears your current truck tows just fine and does not require an upgrades BUT of course you can always spend $$$ for more truck and upgrades, but why? Selling both vehicles makes sense if the savings work for you. Everyone's experience is different. In my case. I towed a heavy fifth wheel trailer for 15 years for an F250.......then purchased my current tow vehicle for lots of reasons......more transmission cooling capacity, stability, uphill torque, comfortable ride, towing capacity and braking (transmission, on addition to exhaust brake).......then my wife proposed buying a longer and heavier fifth wheel trailer.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:03 AM   #22
{tpc}

To the OP. Do you load your bed up with gear for camping? Do you like having a crewcab? A couple of things to note. If you move to a f150 supercrew 3.5 shortbox 4x4 maxtow, especially the 2021+ you will gain a lot of cool features, but you won't even sniff that payload you have now. Expect a max payload of around 1800. Expect gas mileage of around 18-19 mpg not towing, maybe 21 on the interstate not towing.

It should pull that trailer combination easily. How it does at higher altitudes I cannot comment. I've heard the higher altitudes derate the ability somewhat but I have no personal experience.

To me, if your current truck is working, I'd probably stick with that. Or you keep the current one and figure out a way to try the new one, or buy it and try it, and sell the one you don't like as much. I'm happy with mine, but I've often thought about stepping up to the f250. I don't know if we will continue to camp past the next few years or not, so I've held off.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #23
notanlines

It has been said time and again by knowledgeable people: dump the 3/4 ton and go straight to a one ton 350/3500.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #24
Max23

Ya, if your pulling a 40 footer!!! Thats big, nice rig ya got there!! Very nice!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Ya, if your pulling a 40 footer!!! Thats big, nice rig ya got there!! Very nice!
I pull a 31' Cougar XLite fifth wheel with my F250 and "wish for an F350" every trip when I have to leave something home to stay under the 10K GVWR. It doesn't take a 40 footer to "bust the GVWR".... I do it almost every trip with my rig and have to "shorten the packing list" to stay under max weight.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #26
wegone

OK, I'm putting this thinking to bed.

Only been around trailering for what, 3 years now, so I am still learning and in need of much more schooling.

This trailer is us, that is done, finished.

The truck has been great. Never had an issue with it pulling, stopping, up a hill or down a hill, and the size of it, short bed super cab is the perfect size for us, as like our trailer, it's a couple's trailer, not a family truck.
Can toss a few things in the small back seat, but that's it.

I'm thinking this trailering and truck stuff can be a lot like boating, every foot bigger than the boat you own, sure seems nice, and....

Ha, now that I'm thinking about that, I did do that, I went bigger, 26 foot, because it seemed like it would be so much more fun, it wasn't, took more work, money, etc, and therefor didn't get used as much.

I went back down to a 19 footer we use a lot.

Much in the same way I did with my first travel trailer....

Maybe I will use this money that for some reason I just want to spend on stuff, and instead use it to see a shrink doctor
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I'll just opine with this. A tow vehicle is essentially a tool used to carry and or pull a trailer. I'm a firm beleiver in using the proper tool for the job. I don't use flat blade screwdrivers as a chisel or a prybar. Some will say that they do successfully but IMO it's a matter of time before it WILL fail.

I use tools that are fully capable for the task at hand. That includes the tool having a excess capacity to allow for a margin of safety. Trucks, like many things, are a compromise between comfort and capability. IMO that compromise should not include safety or premature wear from using it "at max capacity or capability" for extended periods. JMO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #28
wegone

"task at hand"

That right there is key.

Where I go/pull, in the Pacific Northwest is a whole nudder task than what those in flatland USA go/pull.

One size "might" fit all, until you see a size that wasn't in on the equation
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote