Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2022, 04:46 AM   #21
spicercars

Just bought a new 30lb tank and Menards and it was $88 plus tax.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:01 AM   #22
BajaMermaid

Tank fittings

My tanks from my last RV do not have the same hose fitting as my new Keystone tanks. Fortunately, my propane dealer had an adaptor. Tanks are the same but fittings may differ.

In the past, I have found swap tanks to not be as heavy duty as purchased tanks.
BajaMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #23
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck4wagon View Post
When buying new tanks is it ok to buy them at Lowes, Home Depot or should I go to my local RV dealer ?
Check out tractor supply if one is near you. My area they are decent price
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #24
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaMermaid View Post
My tanks from my last RV do not have the same hose fitting as my new Keystone tanks. Fortunately, my propane dealer had an adaptor. Tanks are the same but fittings may differ.

In the past, I have found swap tanks to not be as heavy duty as purchased tanks.
How old was your last RV? The “new” OPD tanks became a standard by law around 1998. Any tank from 4 lb. to 40 lb. were required to comply. Tanks need to be re-certified every 10 years and cannot be re-certified or filled (legally) unless it had an OPD. So it sounds like your local propane folks might be cutting some corners.

Anyway, swap tanks are just purchased tanks that are new or have been re-certified. No difference in reliability, quality or “strength”…..unless of course the swap tanks are managed by that same shady propane dealer.

For what it’s worth, a propane refill station near our camp would fill whatever you brought him. For us that used to be a few 100 lb. tanks every fall at the start of hunting season, he just didn’t care (or follow the 80% rule). Occasionally on a warmer day one or more of the tanks would vent gas because he had overfilled them and the safety valve would release a bit to relieve some pressure. How we never blew ourselves up is a mystery.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank