Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #21
Midsouth

I realize I'm probably being simplistic/ hopeful but it seems that the AC control boards hold the key to the furnace being able to operate! I've researched a few RV text and unfortunately because of the holiday they were all closed. I downloaded the link you sent me for the BR slide. I can't wait until Monday to start being able to contact service techs! I was able to contact some parts dealers in the area for the AC control boards, but haven't heard back yet. In re: the waterheater- we'll definitely look into your advice on that. Thank you again so much for all your help and time you took. You have really explained everything so that it makes sense!
Old 11-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #22
Midsouth

I wish I could hire you Chucks!
Old 11-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #23
Midsouth

Hi Chucks,
Just wanted to give you an update and thank you again for all your help! Had a different guy come out and they attempted to fix the AC and brought a new board. The thermostat was acting erratic even after they replaced the old board. So I went and purchased a new thermostat. After they initialed it, the thermostat was still not communicating with the zones it was showing zones one two three and four even though I don't have four zones. When they were testing the circuit board originally, the heat pump AC unit was attempting to come on but then it would just shut off. Which is what prompted them to think that it could possibly be the thermostat.
They did tell me that there are no LED lights on the circuit board. So, I'm assuming that the gateway was okay. He's going to do some research and call me back tomorrow on this issue.

The water heater:. I believe he called it the delay switch. I've been closed the picture of it. He said that is what makes him believe 100% that it was lightning. The electric side works now after replacing.

The refrigerator outlet: once he found the junction box for it he repaired that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221129_155804222.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	42395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221129_155751281.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	42396  
Midsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

The picture is the water heater thermostat. "Near lightning " strikes can be just as destructive as a direct hit. A close strike can cause an induced voltage via magnetism (just like windings in a coil) and induce tens of thousands of volts. You could have wires burned where not visible, components burned, etc. It could take some time to chase down all the results of a "near strike".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My first thought would be if an EMS was in use??
EMS is basically useless in a close lightning strike situation. The surge comes up on the other side of it and works backwards. I've had two major strike claims since moving out here, the strike hitting near an outlet or device on the grounds, then tearing around other remote equipment through the subpanel bus bars. The interface to the power company, which is the only thing the whole-house EMS protects me from, has never been an issue. If anything, I may have paid to protect the power company.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #26
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The picture is the water heater thermostat. "Near lightning " strikes can be just as destructive as a direct hit. A close strike can cause an induced voltage via magnetism (just like windings in a coil) and induce tens of thousands of volts. You could have wires burned where not visible, components burned, etc. It could take some time to chase down all the results of a "near strike".
The energy of a nondirect lightning strike can be enormous.
We were flying home one night.
A thuder/lightning storm was 20 miles north with clear air between us.
One strike up there, cloud to ground, took out the entire electronic system in the aircraft. Only the magneto's & battery w 1 switch remained.

That's why RV parks & houses w pools must have only 1 ground point.

The crack in the concrete of The OP''s deck likely followed some rebar or wire. & May have gone from there up thru the skin into the electrical systems. Likely going in thru cable connections & outlet grounding
As others have said there may be more damage, tv. Radio, microwave etc.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
EMS is basically useless in a close lightning strike situation. The surge comes up on the other side of it and works backwards. I've had two major strike claims since moving out here, the strike hitting near an outlet or device on the grounds, then tearing around other remote equipment through the subpanel bus bars. The interface to the power company, which is the only thing the whole-house EMS protects me from, has never been an issue. If anything, I may have paid to protect the power company.

I asked because I was curious about what happened to it if there was one. I don't think any EMS is going to stop a lightning strike unless it just blew apart but the damage downline would have probably already been done.

I worked in the utility business for almost 40 years and have seen the results of many lightning strikes but never one coming from inside the house into our facilities. I can see it in a dispersed area that had exposure to a strike then conduct it through some sort of private facility tied to the utility company infrastructure (like an RV park) but for a home/RV to sustain a direct hit that then sent the voltage out over the network wouldn't leave much left of the "target" from what I've seen.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light