Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
malibu43

Passport Dinette Pulling Off Wall

We have a 2021 219BHWE. We just noticed over the weekend that the top row of screws in the bracket that holds our dinette table to the wall were all pulled out about 1/4". I tried to tighten them back in but they were all stripped. I was able to tighten the screws below the table in each side of the bracket enough to get the bracket to sit flush with the wall, but those top 5 screws aren't holding any weight and I'm concerned with use it will pull back out and possibly strip the screws below as well.

I wanted to come here and ask what the best fix is for this, and I saw this thread already dealing with a similar situation:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53339

Are anchors the way to go for my problem as well? Should I go with the plastic pop-toggle anchors or the Hillman jack nuts? I've never used either one.

Also, can anyone confirm what the thickness of the panel the screws are in is and how much space is behind the panel (for chosing the correct anchor length)?

Thanks!
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Wall panel thickness is most likely 1/4” or less. There is probably 2” between interior and exterior walls.

Choice of anchors is up to you, if there isn’t any backer behind that part of the wall I would probably use hollow wall anchors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
malibu43

So I ended up trying a simpler approach and just glued some toothpicks in the holes yesterday. I reinstalled the screws today and they snugged up pretty well. I'm not 100% confident they will hold up, but it was probably the easiest first thing to try.

I was reading more about the dinette (it's a Cass Hudson Dream Dinette) online and found that people that have installed it aftermarket had to install plywood backing for adequate support. I'm fairly certain that there is not any additional support/backing behind the screws I just reinstalled. That makes me worried about using hollow wall anchors and the possibility that they damage the wall (instead of the screw just pulling out). Maybe the appropriate fix is to install plywood support for the bracket...? For now I'll see how the "toothpicks and glue" hold up, and we'll always lower the dinette to the sleeping position during travel so it's supported by the bench seats.

Does anyone else have this same Dinette in their Passport (ours is a 2021 219BHWE)? If so, do you have any issues with the backet staying securely mounted to the wall?
Old 12-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
RV Camper

Our 2022 Passport had the same issue, we have the convertible dinette and sofa. Kept separating, I tried to repair myself, but was fearful of going thru the laminate. Took it in under warranty and used larger lag screws. Not the prettiest fix, but looks like it may hold.
21 Ram 1500, hemi, 3:92 gears
RV Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Camper View Post
Our 2022 Passport had the same issue, we have the convertible dinette and sofa. Kept separating, I tried to repair myself, but was fearful of going thru the laminate. Took it in under warranty and used larger lag screws. Not the prettiest fix, but looks like it may hold.
That's good to know. If the larger lag screws work, then some of those Hillman hollow wall anchors might work as well.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
08quadram

Will be interesting to know how the tooth picks and glue hold up. I've used that for repairs for years with excellent success.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
Will be interesting to know how the tooth picks and glue hold up. I've used that for repairs for years with excellent success.
That repair will hold up well in a "solid wall hole" like you'd find in a 2x4 or even a 1x4 with an enlarged hole. The toothpick or match stick will help fill the hole and hold the screw.

The problem with that repair in a trailer sidewall, if there is no backer plate behind the wall, is the wall itself. Trailer walls are made (from inside to outside) a laminated 1/8" luan panel glued to 1.5" styrofoam board glued to 1/8" luan panel that is glued to FILON.

Using the "toothpick repair" the only thing holding the screw in the hole is that little bit of toothpick at the 1/8" luan panel. NOTHING will hold a screw securely in a styrofoam board. So that kind of repair may hold for a bit, but don't expect it to survive very long with people pushing on the table and the "rigors of towing" on our "great highway system".... simply put, 1/8" of threads won't hold much from breaking again.

The "expanding wall anchors" (if you can find ones designed to be used with 1/8" walls) if placed properly using the expansion tool, will hold much better, and unless there's an "accidental damage" (like someone falling against the table to pull the anchors out of the wall) will probably last as long as you own the trailer.

If the wall anchors are not installed using the correct tool, there's a good chance that they will turn in the hole during installation and actually "drill out the luan panel on the rear side, making that 1/8" panel grind away to much less wood to hold the anchor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #8
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That repair will hold up well in a "solid wall hole" like you'd find in a 2x4 or even a 1x4 with an enlarged hole. The toothpick or match stick will help fill the hole and hold the screw.

The problem with that repair in a trailer sidewall, if there is no backer plate behind the wall, is the wall itself. Trailer walls are made (from inside to outside) a laminated 1/8" luan panel glued to 1.5" styrofoam board glued to 1/8" luan panel that is glued to FILON.

Using the "toothpick repair" the only thing holding the screw in the hole is that little bit of toothpick at the 1/8" luan panel. NOTHING will hold a screw securely in a styrofoam board. So that kind of repair may hold for a bit, but don't expect it to survive very long with people pushing on the table and the "rigors of towing" on our "great highway system".... simply put, 1/8" of threads won't hold much from breaking again.

The "expanding wall anchors" (if you can find ones designed to be used with 1/8" walls) if placed properly using the expansion tool, will hold much better, and unless there's an "accidental damage" (like someone falling against the table to pull the anchors out of the wall) will probably last as long as you own the trailer.

If the wall anchors are not installed using the correct tool, there's a good chance that they will turn in the hole during installation and actually "drill out the luan panel on the rear side, making that 1/8" panel grind away to much less wood to hold the anchor.
That was my concern as well. Just not enough "wall" there for a screw or toothpicks to hold onto. I'll see how it does, but will probably buy the anchors so I have them ready. Still also thinking that anchoring plywood to whatever metal studs are in there and attaching the table to that might be the best long term solution.

...we'll see....
Old 12-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
That was my concern as well. Just not enough "wall" there for a screw or toothpicks to hold onto. I'll see how it does, but will probably buy the anchors so I have them ready. Still also thinking that anchoring plywood to whatever metal studs are in there and attaching the table to that might be the best long term solution.

...we'll see....
If you decide to try the wall anchors, make sure you get ones designed for the wall thickness "at the expansion" which in this case will be 1/8" (check the thickness of the luan panel in your trailer to be sure) and use the tool to expand the anchors in the styrofoam. Most of what I've found at Lowe's and Home Depot are designed for 3/8 and 1/2 inch wall thickness and won't "tighten up enough to use on the thin luan panels.

Here's are links to what I've found to work in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fas...34&sr=1-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Anndason-Sett...7PPL466Y&psc=1

The anchors are designed for 1/8-1/4" wall thickness and are 7/8" long, so they won't push against the outside luan/FILON sheeting. Be careful with the screws though. They are 1.25" long and if used in the slide walls, some slides are only 1.5" thick, so there's a chance that the screw will "push against the outside wall.

Use the screw to install the anchor, then, after it's expanded inside the wall, you can use a 3/4" or 1" long screw to secure the table to the anchors. No need to "risk" putting pressure on the luan/FILON panels on the outside. Doing so might be enough to start the adhesive separation and lead to delamination of the outer wall. Better safe than sorry, IMO...

If you take the "shortcut of not using the tool" and IF the anchor turns as you're installing it, the inner expanding sections will dig into the back of the luan and cut away much of the limited wood that holds the anchor in place. The tool expands the anchor in the wall, seating it properly without the risk of it turning and countersinking the back of the luan.

Even if you do have aluminum backing in the form of the square aluminum tubing, it's "thin wall" and won't hold a screw very well, but it will hold the above wall anchors and they won't pull through the luan if they're installed inside the tubing as well as through the luan.

If you do this type repair, I'd also suggest using blue locktite on the threads to help prevent the screws from loosening with the vibrations of towing the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #10
Max23

https://itcshopnow.com/products/surf...smart_campaign

Just a thought for a different way to go. If all else fails. Something along this line may work for you. Our passport is no screwed to the wall, they must have realized there was problems there as our dinette table is held up this way. Seems to be sturdy, guess we'll see over time.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #11
malibu43

Quick update - after several months, the toothpicks and glue method is holding up. The other change I made was to always leave the table lowered when traveling so it's shaking and vibrating less on the road. I think that has helped a lot as well.

Tags
dinette, passport