Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

Ouch. I've not heard of that issue either.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #22
German Shepherd Guy

On I-40 you will be crossing the continental divide on inclines you will be hard pressed to know when you crossed it. Not that you're not up in the altitude just that the accent was so gradual. But I second the caution on the cross winds in New Mexico, especially near Albuquerque. Be especially vigilant as you come through cuts in the rocks out to where the wind can get you. Just be aware and it will be fine. I remember towing to Gallup from TX back in '75 and the head winds were so strong it was all the old ford 360 could do to maintain 30mph. And I think I got like 3 mpg. But at least they were head winds and not cross winds. Friend of mine got jack knifed east of Albuquerque back in early '90s by one of the side winds just after coming out of a cut. Good luck was that all the dogs she was carrying were in the truck (she is a professional dog handler) and it stayed upright, only the TT was flipped.
Now that we have set the mood, have fun, cause none of that stuff is going to happen to you.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne30152 View Post
Thank you Gearhead! It’s unfortunate but crime is everywhere now. Wanted to disperse camp while visiting Grand Canyon but having second thoughts. If I do , taking my friend SW with me.
Yeah Mr Smith and Mr Wesson are my best friends.
I would go forward with dispersed camping.
Based on my readings, it is legal to carry in national parks as long as you are 21 and otherwise qualified.
But do your own research and I would ask at the visitor center.
BE ready to have a good defense if you are forced to shoot a rattlesnake.
You know the rangers think they are just as cuddly as a bunny rabbit.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #24
wayne30152

Smile

🤔 I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by six! Really looking forward to this trip. Thanks again to everyone for the advice!
wayne30152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
🤔 I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by six! Really looking forward to this trip. Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

To put you at ease here's a link to the NPS site:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearm...onal-parks.htm

No problem with Mr. S and Mr. W in the parks themselves or NFS etc. Be aware of the exclusions but if you're not careless it will be just fine.

On the issue of wind, I don't know the route you took to SD but on I40 and other locations across the "prairies" and mountains the winds can be very treacherous. I've seen more semis flipped than I can remember along with many RVs. Cuts between the mountains, overpasses that take you up into the wind etc., they can all get you. Combine those with a peculiarity we have out here...what I call the "whip". Heavy winds from one side; push, push, let up push some more then "whip", the wind suddenly changes direction and hits you from the opposite direction - the same one you are pulling the steering wheel. Just be careful and attentive.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #26
daveinaz

We're taken that route before and haven't had any issues, especially with a 2500 diesel.

FWIW, we tow our 14k fiver with our ram 3500 diesel dually. Like was posted, just put it in tow mode, turn on the exhaust brake, set the cruise to 60 and enjoy the drive!
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #27
rs1718

Grand Canyon trip

I have made this trip several times and it’s a very easy drive. We stayed in koa campgrounds the entire trip. I would avoid staying in Memphis and Albuquerque. I-40 is very rough in Oklahoma. The koa in Amarillo Texas has free shuttle to the Big Texan steakhouse, great steak and if you want to try it they have a 6 pound steak you get for free if you eat it all and the sides. In Arizona there is a petrified forest and a meteor crater that is interesting. You can take a picture of yourself standing on on a corner in Winslow Arizona. We stayed in Williams Arizona koa and drove to the park every day. Williams is a neat town you can also take a train to the park. If you’re over 62 get a national park pass it gets you in parks for free.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #28
Spletbr

We did the GC this summer from FL, then up to Glacier. Took 40 out, no problems whatsoever. Even got to stop in Winslow AZ (which any Eagles fan will appreciate). If you can stay in Trailer Village, the only camping actually in the Park, you wont be disappointed.
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #29
TTDolan

Quote:
My wife and I have a trip planned in early summer to Grand Canyon. I’m will be towing my Apline 5th wheel with my 2018 Ram 2500 from Atlanta,Ga. I’m a little concerned with the mountains. For those who have made this trip, can you please give me a heads up on what I might encounter and possibly a good place to stay. Thanks!

FYI, We just came back from Rapid City , SD. With no problems what so ever. We also dispersed camped on the Wall for 7 days.
For overnight stays on I40 I like Fort Amarillo RV Resort in Amarillo, Texas; Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque; and Meteor Crater RV Park in Arizona from which you can visit Walnut Canyon, Wupatki, Lowell Observatory etc. in Flagstaff.

Then through the easy mountain drive on US 180 up to Grand Canyon RV Village (make sure to reserve will ahead - now is almost too late.) We stayed six nights with the grandkids in RV Village and had a great time.

HINT - don't put out sewer hoses in RV Village because the ravens will punch holes in them to get to the water - we dumped our grey water tanks every second day and our black tank the day we left. Also, the elk have learned how to chew through fresh water hose - just make sure to not have ANY drips. This plan worked well for us.
TTDolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #30
Robear

Wife and I stayed in Kaibab Lake campground last year when visiting the Grand Canyon. It’s dry camping, but worth it. One of the most beautiful campgrounds I’ve stayed in. Only 5 minutes from Williams, but feels secluded and in the forest.
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #31
Canonman

Here are the rules I was referring to:

"Possession of Firearms in National Park Units
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm"

"Use of Firearms
Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. "

"Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. "

Hope this helps.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Here are the rules I was referring to:

"Possession of Firearms in National Park Units
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm"

"Use of Firearms
Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. "

"Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. "

Hope this helps.
Yes, those were the "exclusions" I referred to in my post linking the NFPS regulations.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #33
Shedboy

I travel Denver to Portland OR minimum of 4 times per year in high profile 24 ft Navion RV. Default is northern route Hwy 80 but when weather is too bad defer to Hwy 40/66 starting in Albuquerque.
Should have very little trouble with the exception of wind and semis. Check the wind maps before leaving, I have seen 3 semi's blown over on their side, as well as semis making unintentional multi-lane changes.

HWY40 is OK if you check out the road conditions ahead of time, HWY10 is an alternative choice, more predictable, better weather.

Between Winslow and Flagstaff AZ is a site to see called "Meteor Crater" about 5 miles south of HWY 40. There is large RV park near the HWY40 turn-off, another one near the crater and a large rest stop frequented by semis a few miles west on Hwy40.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:09 AM   #34
Shedboy

Have experienced "whip" on two occasions and have made inquiries as to the cause of localized, invisible and unexpected violent wind condition on sunny days, flat road. Have found no explanations. Some have suggested "dust devils", small tornadoes but there is no dust cloud in the sky.
Fortunately I was on an empty highway when one hit and forced me onto the gravel shoulder. Wide-eyed and white knuckled, I stopped to catch my breath and express my gratitude for not losing control of the RV.

Re firearms - I have tried my best to obey the law BUT I have found that there isn't "reciprocity" between different states similar to drivers licenses (one license for multiples states). In some states, inc CA, OR and WA, the rules change from county to county.

I obtained a concealed carry permit only to find that no target range in my county allowed holstered firearms. As one of my law enforcement relatives said, "if they want to get you, they will". The concealed carry permit is valid only in certain states with agreements.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Have experienced "whip" on two occasions and have made inquiries as to the cause of localized, invisible and unexpected violent wind condition on sunny days, flat road. Have found no explanations. Some have suggested "dust devils", small tornadoes but there is no dust cloud in the sky.
Fortunately I was on an empty highway when one hit and forced me onto the gravel shoulder. Wide-eyed and white knuckled, I stopped to catch my breath and express my gratitude for not losing control of the RV.

Re firearms - I have tried my best to obey the law BUT I have found that there isn't "reciprocity" between different states similar to drivers licenses (one license for multiples states). In some states, inc CA, OR and WA, the rules change from county to county.

I obtained a concealed carry permit only to find that no target range in my county allowed holstered firearms. As one of my law enforcement relatives said, "if they want to get you, they will". The concealed carry permit is valid only in certain states with agreements.

Yes, sometimes the whirlwinds (dust devils) will do it but you can generally see some evidence of them coming your way by dust, debris etc. being drawn up into the air in a circular motion. When that happens you just have to lock down on the wheel and slow down. The "whips" aren't caused by the dust devils. I don't know what kind of phenomenon they are but they can go from a steady 30mph (example) gusting sidewind to a sudden 180 degree switch and hit you with the same from the opposite direction...then flip back the other way. Not all that common but very disconcerting when they happen.

As far as traveling with a weapon in the RV do research before you go if you plan on doing so. There is LOTs of online information about reciprocity etc. I want to know that before I head out and I like to pull each states laws and read them. I usually print the state law from each state I will travel through and keep it in a binder so I can be in compliance. Most states have wording that says state laws preempt any city or county law but some don't - there you have to be very careful. ***NOTE*** Just to remind everyone but discussions of guns are prohibited on the forum unless they are discussed in the context of traveling with an RV. So far this one is staying on track.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #36
notanlines

“ I would avoid staying in Memphis”
On the other hand, only avoid Memphis if you dislike barbecue, music and Elvis. Instead, stay at Tom Sawyer or the Agricenter and enjoy the stop!
One of the city’s best popular priced steak houses is on site at the RV park at the Agricenter.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #37
flyingjack

notanlines; Start touring mid Jan in W TX, New Orleans and points east. Memphis in late Feb or early March, thanks for Agricenter info.

Conceal carry: may sites that detail reciprocity agreements, just google.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #38
rogerinamarillo

We have stayed at some really nice Corps of Engineers campgrounds close to I-40 in Arkansas. They are really well maintained and inexpensive. I used to travel from Amarillo to Albuquerque a couple of times a month and the only hills are one long steep westbound climb east of Clines Corners and a really long descent into Albuquerque. I-40 right lane in New Mexico is rough so be prepared. Enjoy your trip and be sure to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #39
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post

Handgunlaw.us
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote